Five: Family Affairs

"How soon can we meet the baby?" Luke asked his mother.

"Soon," Rhaenyra hummed as she braided Kristyne's hair. "You have been training with your father so often, now you look like a warrior. Queen Visenya donned war braids during her height of power."

"I do not want to look like Visenya, I want to be like Nymeria."

"I can not wait to meet the baby!" Luke interrupted.

"You have to wait, Luke, like I had to," Jace spoke up.

"Do you even remember when he was born?" Kris raised a brow, wincing while Rhaenyra pulled a tight braid.

"Maybe," Jace mumbled.

"It shan't be long after my cousin Laena shall have her child. Maybe we could make a small family trip and visit them in Pentos. We can visit Daemon and the twins."

"Not us," Kris responded. "Papa and I are due for a trip to Starfall. Do you think a woman could be Sword of the Morning?"

"I think a woman could be a strong enough warrior to fight for the right. Are you sure you want to be a warrior? It's a frightening life to live."

"I do not know what I want to do. I suppose my purpose will be marriage and children. Father says I can marry whomever, but how will I carry the Strong name? I can't be Lady of Harrenhal if I am married to another Lord."

"Well, I suppose your uncle would take the title. But you are not yet even 11, you do not need to think of marriage yet. Your father still has many years to him, you shall not worry about the succession of your house for many years. And worst case, the king likes you, you could plead your case and he would allow whatever you want."

That had been true. Being the granddaughter of the Kings Hand meant she saw the king often, and the fact that spent a lot of time with Jace and Luke, meant the King had grown a soft spot for her.

The last month of Rhaenyra's pregnancy passed by quickly and the whole of the courtyard heard when she began her labors. The air was tense and thick, Aegon and Aemond keeping an unusual amount of space from Rhaenyra's boys.

Aemond's visits in the tunnel grew shorter, and he read most of the time.

"Why do you seem to be cross with me?"

Aemond rose a brow at her. "My distaste lies with your friends, not with you. Would you like to know what those little beasts did to me?"

Kristyne had been so preoccupied with getting as far away from Rhaenyra's screams that she had not been around the boys. "No, I am trying not to be within earshot of Rhaenyra."

"Well, your little friends humiliated me! They know I so desperately want a dragon, and they raised my hopes. They gave me a pig!"

Kris frowned at his words and hesitantly placed a hand on his shoulder. "I am so sorry, Aemond. You do not deserve that one bit."

"I don't understand," He sniffled. "Aegon does not care for our heritage, and yet he is so close with Sunfyre. I care about our blood and preserving it, what have I done to be denied a dragon?"

"Nothing," Kristyne shook her head. "Your time is coming, Aemond—a late bloomer, mayhaps. Sure, Aegon got there first, but maybe that means when you get there, it will be a million times better than how it was for him. Just like how he has always been taller, you have started to grow."

Aemond stared at the ground and stayed silent for several moments. "So why are you avoiding my sister? I thought she was a second mother to you."

"Sometimes, I have nightmares about my mother. About her screaming as she dies birthing me. When I hear Rhaenyra's screams, it scares me. As if my whole body freezes and does not know how to move."