Six: O Children

In case anyone was wondering, this is what Kristyne's necklace looks like :)

It was hours before Kristyne woke, but when she did, Rhaenyra had red eyes and tear-stained cheeks with a raven in her hand

It was hours before Kristyne woke, but when she did, Rhaenyra had red eyes and tear-stained cheeks with a raven in her hand. Word had just arrived.

"Kris," Rhaenyra whispered, reaching for her hand.

Kris flinched and got out of bed, running to her bag of clothes. "I have to go to him, I need to save him."

"Kris!" Rhaenyra cried.

"No!" She yelled and ran for the door.

Rhaenyra grabbed her and held her back. "He's gone, Kristyne, no one survived!"

She pushed away from Rhaenyra, the walls of her chest collapsing around her heart and lungs. The pressure was crippling and she was losing her breath. "No, no, no! Please stop!" She wailed.

Her hyperventilating was causing her vision to grow blurry and her hold on reality was slipping. Rhaenyra caught her before she could fall over.

She did not know how long Rhaenyra held her, but she knew Rhaenyra had picked her up, carried her to her bed, and held her there.

Her mind was ... blank. So overcome by grief and pain that she just shut down. There was nothing. She could not form a single thought because her body started to freak out again when she tried.

"I am going to fight for you, Kristyne. You will come to Dragonstone with me. I will not hand you over to your uncle."

"I do not want to go back to King's Landing, not when he ..." She clenched her eyes shut.

"Laenor and I wish to move to Dragonstone. We have no friends left in the Capitol, only enemies. You will come with us."

"Mother," Luke said softly, entering the room.

"Luke, you should not be here, I told you she would need time alone."

"It is fine," Kris mumbled. It was not, but Kris liked Luke and it was not his fault.

"Father said it was dinner time and I thought you would not want to eat alone."

Kris smiled faintly at Luke and looked back up at Rhaenyra. "I am hungry. But I do not want to see anyone else."

When her Grandsire announced he would take time away to travel with Harwin, the King had asked Otto to return as a temporary Hand, but now Otto would surely be celebrating the permanent position and she could not stand to see that.

She did not want to be around anyone who dared to celebrate her grandfather or father's ... no, she could not even think the word.

She may not have had a close relationship with her grandsire, but that was merely because of his position. The time she did get with him, she enjoyed.