Four: The Best Teacher

Her lessons were cancelled, and she sat across from her father at their dining table, both sitting in silence for what felt like hours.

Neither had spoken since her slip up.

"Father, I-"

Harwin held his hand up. "I do not want you around Aemond any longer."

"It was not him, Father, Aemond and I do not talk about that. I have known, Father. For quite some time now, actually."

Harwin pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. Kris started feeling her heart race, her breath shortening. "Papa, please do not be angry with me." Her voice quivered.

Harwin's eyes flew open in an instant. "No, sweet girl, I am not angry with you. I should have known, truly. You are smart, and you have eyes."

"And I do not think of you differently."

"I am glad," He sighed. "But Kris, Jacaerys and Lucerys do not know. Despite their hair, they still believe they are Laenor's sons. Do not think badly of Rhaenyra, this was not her first option."

"Of course not." Kris shook her head, wanting to change the subject. "Can I take sword lessons from you, Papa?"

"I beg your pardon?" He suddenly laughed.

She frowned. "Don't laugh at me."

"No, sweet one, I am not laughing at your expense. I am laughing at the turn of the conversation, and slightly because you never fail to surprise me. If you want to learn to defend yourself, I think that is a splendid idea."

One week later, Harwin led her down to the training yard just as the sun began to set. He had explained to her it was considered improper for a woman to train, so they had to find a time when no one would spy them.

She pointed to her father's sword. "Can I use it?"

"No, not in a thousand years. The damn thing weighs more than you. Pick up a wooden sparring sword, we start with the basics. I will go easy on you."

Kristyne frowned at him. "Do not go easy on me just because I am a girl. Teach me as you teach Jacaerys and Lucerys."

Harwin held his hands behind his back. "You are asking me to be rough, Kristyne. You are my daughter, there is a difference."

Kristyne rose a brow with a smirk. "Is there, though?"

The smugness of her implication made him grin, but he shrugged after. "Fine. You are nine, old enough to make this decision. Sparring sword up and ready."

Kris held it up best she could, getting a feel for the hilt and weight. It took her moment to adjust, a moment she apparently did not have.

Harwin walked behind her and used his wooden training sword to whack her elbows. "Elbows in, Kristyne."

"Ow, Father!" She frowned.

"You asked me to teach you the way I teach my students."

Kris rose her chin to look at him, nodding once. "Fine."

Next, he hit her ankles. "Spread your feet a bit more for good balance. Hitting the wrong part is the best way for your brain to learn what to focus on. Now you know how much the elbows hurt, and that was not even a sharp blade. Pain can help your brain correlate which parts need to be corrected. I would never permanently hurt you, but training comes with bruises. Pain can be the best teacher."

Kristyne rose the sword and lunged to swing at him but he easily blocked and walked past her, hitting her spine. "Do not lunge, let the weapon be your extension. We must work on the basics before you try fighting. You must crawl before you can walk."