Three: A Dayne Girl of Strong Blood

The ride to Starfall was long, but her excitement kept her on edge the whole ride. They had to cross the Torrentine River, but when they finally reached the gates to the magnificent castle, Kristyne was breathless. She was sitting in Harwin's lap, her face hanging out the small window.

"When Aegon conquered Westeros, Starfall was burned by Queen Visenya and Vhagar. But House Dayne has never lacked gold and managed to restore it back to glory. They are a powerful and rich house, and they are your family. One day, when I am gone, they will be your family if you need help."

"What of Grandsire?" She asked.

"He is the Hand, and he is old. His place is at King's Landing, he cannot offer you the protection you might need. This kingdom, Kris, is on the brink of war. Two sides are secretly at play and shall be for years before blood is drawn and my allegiances have already been made and that will reflect on you."

"I don't understand, Papa."

"I know, Kris. One day, when you are older, I will have much to tell you. But for now, we must continue on like normal. There is much you do not know. I just fear my actions have put us both at risk. Things would be much less complicated if your mother were still here."

"Mama," Kris smiled, humming the tune she always heard in her morning memories.

Harwin looked at her with a frown. "How do you know that song?"

"I hear it in the mornings. I can hear her voice."

Harwin looked outside the wheelhouse to make certain none of the guards or footmen were listening. "Kristyne, you never met your mother."

"I know, but I can hear her in the mornings when I close my eyes. Her voice. Her light eyes are sometimes there."

Harwin kept a frown as she spoke. It almost sounded like greensight, but that was from tales of the Children of the Forrest and times from before the First Men, stuff of magic like wargs and giants, not his own daughter.

"Sweet Kristyne, I need you to promise me you will not tell anyone this. I am all you can trust in this world. If the wrong person were to find out, they would call you mad and hurt you."

"I thought I could trust Nyra?" She squirmed as they got closer to the castle.

"Yes, you can trust Rhaenyra. But not a single other person."

Kristyne was not paying attention any longer, her focus on the grand castle before her. They finally haulted before the main doors, and a man in lavish robes came out to greet them.

"Harwin! I have not seen you since the wedding!"

"Arthur," Harwin smiled as he stepped out, pulling Kris into his arms. "This is your niece, Kristyne."

"Arthur?" Kris repeated his named.

"Yes, a strong name that has been a common one in our family history. But look at you, I have not seen you since your mother's funeral. Gods, you look just like her."

Kris smiled bashfully and studied her uncle. He had light eyes, just the same as she had pictured her mother's, and sandy light hair that was in the early stages of greying. He was also tall, and had a tired face.

"Would you like to come in and rest after your travels?"

"Yes, the trip was a long one."

-

On the last night of their trip, Harwin sat at the table with Kris, teaching her a new game. "Have you enjoyed yourself, darling?"

She nodded, moving one of her pieces. "I like this game."