Chapter 5.

The metallic rings glide along the rod, emitting a faint metallic chime as they traverse the length, a faint groan escapes my lips as the curtains are drawn open, betraying my desire to linger in the comfort of darkness a little while longer. It's not that I don't appreciate the sunlight or his affectionate gesture, but sometimes the world outside feels too overwhelming, too demanding.

Xander's voice broke through the heavy silence of the brightly lit room, his words carrying a gentle yet firm reassurance. "It won't be that bad, darling. You can't stay locked in this room forever."

My response came out in a soft murmur, barely audible against the stillness of the air. "I don't want to." I was a wee babe again, not wanting to get up for the day when my mother tried to wake me. I could hear Xander chuckle, his hands tickling the base of my ankle which sent sparks of electricity up my leg.

"No?" His voice holds a hint of playful challenge.

Before I can offer a reply, a sudden surge of motion disrupts the tranquil atmosphere, and a startled squeal escapes my lips as I feel my body being lifted off the bed. The unexpected movement jolts me out of my reverie, and I find myself enveloped in Xander's embrace, his arms strong and supportive around me.

His laughter, a melody of warmth and affection, fills the room, dispelling the lingering shadows of doubt and uncertainty. Xander's voice, tinged with amusement, dances through the air like a mischievous melody, his words teasing yet filled with a deep underlying affection. "You need to feed from the vein, it's the only way to learn control, Adelaide."

My response comes out in a pleading tone, a mixture of resignation and a hint of defiance. "Alright! Alright! Just let me walk at least." But Xander's reply is anything but accommodating; instead, it's playful, teasing, sending a playful shiver down my spine. "I don't know, I quite like you like this."

His words hang in the air, carrying with them a sense of intimacy and desire, igniting a spark of anticipation within me. Despite my protests, there's a part of me that revels in his playful teasing, relishing the electric tension that crackles between us. "Xander!" I protested, the frustration evident in my voice, a hint of exasperation colouring my tone.

After a moment's hesitation, Xander relented with a sigh, his resolve softening. "Fine fine," he conceded, the gentleness in his voice soothing the edges of my frustration. "You need to face your fears, Adelaide," he murmured, his voice low and soothing. "You can't hide from who you are."

But what if I don't like what I've become?

My breath caught in my throat, the weight of Xander's words sinking deep into my soul. I knew he was right, knew that I couldn't continue to deny the truth of my existence. With a reluctant nod, I yielded to his guidance, my body tense yet yielding in his grasp.

"Alright," I whispered, my voice barely audible above the hushed beat of my heart, "I'll try." Xander's lips curved into a reassuring smile, his gaze filled with unwavering support. With a gentle motion, he lowered me back onto the bed but took my hand helping my feet to the floor.

"Is everyone down there?" I inquired, my voice tinged with apprehension.

"Mother and her ladies, yes. They should be," Xander confirmed, his tone steady and reassuring. A sense of dread washed over me, accompanied by an involuntary groan. "Ughhhh," I muttered, unable to contain my frustration. Maybe if I didn't feed, I'd shrivel up like a little raisin? It would be better than meeting the ladies of the estate.

But Xander's response was quick, his voice filled with warmth and certainty. "You have me by your side, darling," he reminded me, his words a soothing balm against the rising tide of anxiety.