Chapter 11.

The estate was decorated to stand for the Rococo style, and it was as if I stepped into another time of history. The ballroom was elegant and the black roses I saw were in the middle of every bouquet. The dark, black centre between the white flowers of many kinds; surrounded. It was as if Marie Antoinette would attend the party, as the women were attired in large dresses, laced in corsets while having many frills hanging off their bodies. While men were more shocking than I thought, a giggle almost escaped my lips as I looked out into the vast crowd below me. Vests, breaches, and jackets varied in different colours while some wore powder wigs with hats as tall as a building.

But the masks...they were beautiful. They were handcrafted for each invite, adorning their selected animal. I could see bunnies, deer, bears, lions, and even a crow below me that almost seemed unreal. If you had told me months ago that I would be at a party like this, I would have slapped you and called you insane.

As my hands pressed my dress down, I felt a nudge on my shoulder. There stood Maggie, looking as beautiful as day. Her dress was long, full of ruffles lining the bust and connecting with her shoulder neckline. The dress was a light blue with light pink and gold accents, the corset cinched in tightly making her stand as straight as a pole. I had the stylist do her hair as well, pulling her dark locks up onto her head while some pieces fell around her face. Her neck was adorned with jewels, falling to her collarbones as the light sapphires contrasted perfectly against her olive skin.

While in my dress, it was similar to Maggie's however my colour scheme was much different. Reds, oranges and gold wrapped around my body, and gems of topaz and jasper covered my neck and ears. The bust of the dress pushed my breasts higher and lined the trims of lace and ruffles around the entire dress. My hair was wrapped up into ringlets, framing my face perfectly while my lips were painted red.

Her smile was bright as she handed me my mask, crafted for me by the Lady herself. And the irony was as present as the distasteful taste in my mouth from that day. I finally understood what matched my dress...

A red fox.

"And what were you given?", I asked curiously while running my fingers over the fabric of my own. Maggie rolled her eyes, bringing forward her hand that was hidden behind her back, her hand encasing a white mask with long ears. I stifled a laugh as she spoke, "A rabbit, I don't know if I should be insulted or not."

"Cautious, gentle, agile? It does fit you", I said with an amused smile as I watched her bring the mask up to her face. Maggie chuckled at my words and shrugged, however, there was a glint of mischievousness in her eyes. She said curiously, "And a fox? What does that mean? Cunning?"

"Cunning, abatable and... a trickster", I added while playing on the dramatics as I spoke while hugging her arm with a wink. But my attitude faltered as the symbolism between our unfamiliar faces added a new weight to my shoulders, "A predator and prey."

"Lovely", Maggie said unamused while securing the mask for her face. Following her lead, I placed the mask around my head, securing the band around my head. My vision was slightly impaired on the side, the dark underside of the mask in my peripheral vision.

"So, where is your darling beloved?", she asked.

With a huff, I answered, "Somewhere around here, he told me to wait for him to walk in together."

My eyes scanned around the area, my nose trying to notice his scent but to no prevail I could not find him. I wonder where he was? Maggie noticed my hesitancy as she gently squeezed my arm and smiled. But our time was broken as a quiet, "Psst Maggie", was heard behind us. Both of us turned to see another housekeeper, dressed in server attire calling her away. Maggie looked back at me, smiling, and replied, "Sorry one second."