Chapter 5

*Luke's POV*

"What is it, Hensley? Spit it out already," I said, feeling my patience wearing thin with my assistant. Despite his competence and skill, his nervous demeanor since I had woken up was putting me on edge. "It's Mrs. Parker. I'm afraid the anesthetics we are using to keep her in a coma are affecting her brain. If we continue to keep her under for much longer, it could hinder her recovery," he explained, pausing for a moment before adding, "We might be making things worse."
I was well aware of the risks involved in our actions, but I had made a promise.

Promise me you won't let me forget.

Promise me you will always bring me back.

If I can't remember us then I don't want to live.

I recalled the desperation in Kendra's words and the worry in her eyes as she begged me to help her remember. To help her remember us.
Kendra had been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease, and our happy marriage had started to crumble after just two years. She began forgetting simple things like recipes, which frustrated her to the point of shutting herself off from the world, and even from me.

Determined to find a solution, I started testing different methods to help her cope with her memory loss. Leaving sticky notes with reminders only seemed to make her angrier at herself for not being able to control her mind, and at me for treating her like a child. It was heartbreaking to see her struggle and hate herself for something she couldn't control.

Despite the significant changes we were experiencing, my love for her continued to grow. Her Alzheimer's was progressing rapidly, causing her to forget even the most basic things like days, months, and even the current year. When she began to forget my name and our relationship, I knew I would soon lose her.

I tried everything to bring her back. I shared stories, showed her pictures, but eventually, she didn't recognize me anymore. My only goal was to fulfill the promise I had made to her.

I delved into studying the Entorhinal cortex and Hippocampus along with the biomarkers associated with Alzheimer's. Before losing her completely, I discussed my experimental project with Kendra, who bravely volunteered to be my test subject.

It may not have been ethical to use my wife as a test subject for an untested experiment, but we were both desperate to repair her "broken brain," as she called it. We understood the risks involved, but we were willing to make the sacrifice to regain our happy life together.

Our marriage was far from perfect, with its share of ups and downs and disagreements. However, I cherished every moment we shared. Each argument only brought us closer, igniting a passion between us.

She possessed a captivating wild side that both exhilarated and unsettled me. Her unpredictable nature stirred conflicting emotions within me, causing me to feel both frustration and a desire to keep her all to myself by locking her in our bedroom and not letting her level for hours. While I showed her just how madly insane she made me.

"This only means we need to move quickly, Hensley, not that we should stop the project. We still have time." I asserted, refocusing on the task at hand.

"Dr. Parker, you must approach this logically. You are thinking with your heart. Emotions have no place in science," Hensley stated firmly. I suppressed a sarcastic retort and clenched my jaw. "This is my project, Mr. Hensley. Do not forget who is in charge here," I retorted.

"As you wish, Dr. Parker," Hensley replied, looking down in embarrassment. I knew I had been demanding, but I could see the progress. He did not comprehend Kendra as I did. I sensed a change in her.

"May I offer a suggestion?" Hensley inquired, meeting my gaze. I nodded, granting him permission to continue. "What if, we do send you back with your memories.Perhaps that is the key to our success," he proposed.

I pondered his idea, recalling that I had considered it just a day ago but ultimately I knew it wasn't the right decision. "Hensley you were right to scold me yesterday, if I go in there with my memories I might rush her into remembering, potentially making things worse. Let's reserve that as a last resort. Progress is occurring more rapidly this time. Kendra has already had two flashbacks," I explained. Hensley gasped at the mention of the flashbacks, remembering that in previous trials, it had taken much longer for Kendra to experience just one.

"She's already having flashbacks?" Hensley questioned, sounding incredulous. "Yes, she is. Kendra is remarkably resilient. This time is different. She's remembering," I said, admiration evident in my tone.
"I apologize for doubting you, Dr. Parker," Hensley said, sounding contrite.

"Hensley, I hired you because you are truly exceptional at what you do. I appreciate your dedication in looking out for her well-being." I assured him of my sincerity as I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You should eat something before you head back. I ordered a pizza for you," he said, grabbing a box that I hadn't noticed until now.

"Okay, Hensley, but I need to get back to Kendra quickly," I said, knowing that arguing with him on this matter would be pointless.

AN: Should Luke go back with his memories? Will there be any other other complications in this experiment or will they be able to restore Kendra's memory before it's too late?
XO ~KC