Chapter 21

*Kendra's POV*

A doctor had just informed me that I had suffered a stroke due to extremely high blood pressure caused by stress, which then led to a seizure. I was in shock, but the sound of the door bursting open drew my attention to Luke, who rushed in.

"I'm so sorry. I should have made sure you were okay, but instead, I was busy loo-," Luke began to apologize, but I interrupted him by pressing my finger to his lips.

"Luke, you did make sure I was okay. You asked many times. I just got really stressed because I hated seeing you like that. I'm sorry the cure was stolen, but we can get through this together," I said, smiling up at him.

"I don't care about the cure. They can have it for all I care. I'm just glad I was able to cure you before they sabotaged anything," Luke said with a smile as he bent down to me.

Our lips met, and it felt like pure bliss. I pulled him closer and made space for him in bed next to me. He laid down, and his hands started to freely explore my body.

As we pulled away, both of us breathing heavily, I blurted out, "I think I love you, Luke," before I could stop myself. It was true. Although I'm sure I loved him before, I had fallen in love with Luke for a second time.

He smiled widely, a proud look on his face. "I think I more than love you, Kendra."

———

~3 months later~

I anxiously waited outside the courtroom, my heart pounding with anticipation. Luke's competitors had released our cure for Alzheimer's, but Luke had the foresight to keep backup flash drives of his work.

I had testified as a witness previously, but today was the day the court would make its decision. If the ruling was in our favor, we stood to gain millions of dollars.

However, money was not my primary concern.
I wanted Luke to receive recognition for his remarkable work. He had achieved what scientists had been striving for over the years. Luke's intellect was impressive, but it was his passion that drove him to find the cure. His love for me was a powerful force that enabled him to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles, and I was grateful that he never gave up.

Although I still struggled to remember our life together, Luke saw it as an opportunity to create new memories. From romantic dates to exploring new places, he had showered me with love and care these recent months. I felt incredibly fortunate to have him as my husband.

As the doors to the courtroom opened, my nerves returned as a crowd of people emerged. When I locked eyes with Luke, I tried to discern the verdict, but his expression remained unreadable.
We approached each other, and he stayed silent when we finally met.

"What happened, babe?" I broke the silence.

"We won," he said with a neutral expression.

"What? Why do you look like that? We're millionaires now!" I exclaimed.
He gazed at me, his face transforming into one of satisfaction. "We are now billionaires."

"W-what?" I stammered.

"Billionaires. Billionaires," he repeated.

I now understood his initial expression; he was in shock, and so was I. I never expected such an outcome. But I suppose when you discover a cure for an incurable disease and take legal action against a multi-million dollar company for theft, extraordinary results are to be expected.

Luke's arm lifting me out of my state of shock was a welcome relief. I couldn't help but giggle as he spun me around, and soon we were both laughing with joy.

"There's something I want to show you," he said as he gently set me back on the ground.

"What is it?" I asked, my curiosity piqued.

"It's a surprise. Come on baby," he replied, leading me out of the courthouse.

———

We had been driving for quite some time, and as I gazed out the window, a sense of familiarity washed over me. It wasn't until Luke turned into the entrance of a stunning marble house that I realized exactly where we were.

As the car came to a stop, I swiftly unbuckled my seatbelt and hopped out, not giving him a chance to open the door for me. Tears welled up in my eyes as I took in the sight of the house, memories flooding back.

"I want a marble house, Luke, like the ones in princess movies. Come on, I'm taking you on a drive!" I exclaimed, grabbing the car keys and rushing out the door, with Luke chuckling behind me.

"Where are you taking me?" Luke inquired as I continued to drive towards our destination.

"It's a surprise!" I squealed with excitement, eager to arrive. He simply shook his head with a smile.

Pulling up to an empty field next to a lake I had discovered when I first moved to the city, I ushered Luke out of the car.

"Imagine it, Luke. A bedroom overlooking the lake, a grand library for us to enjoy. I envisioned our future home in this magical place."

Though the night was dark, the starry sky above illuminated every corner of the area.

"We'll need at least four bedrooms for the kids, on the second or third floor, away from ours, of course. We wouldn't want the kids hearing how naughty their mother can be," Luke remarked as he embraced me from behind.

"At least four rooms? How many kids do you plan on having?" I teased, to which Luke replied, "As many as you'll give me," causing me to playfully swat his arms away. "What if I only want one?" I challenged, turning to face him.

"Then I guess we'll have to compromise," he smirked

"I am a lawyer, darling. Are you sure you can handle me?" I said playfully.

"I will never be a match for you. All you have to do is look up at me through your beautiful eyelashes, and I'm putty in your hands," Luke admitted as he pulled me back into his arms.

"I love you, Luke."

A flood of "I love you, Luke" memories filled my mind, along with moments we shared. Tears welled up in my eyes as I began to reminisce about the good and bad times we had together. The incredible makeup we would have after fights, the sweet nothings he whispered in my ear every morning when he woke me up, and the promise he made in our vows to love me and never leave my side, even when things got rough.

I felt my knees hit the grass as tears streamed down my face.

"What's going on baby?" Luke got down on his knees in front of me, wiping my tears away with his rough fingers.

"I-I remember, Luke. I remember everything," I smiled at him, reassuring him that these were happy tears.

He grabbed my face and kissed me passionately. When he pulled away, he began to leave pecks on every inch of my face.

The heavy weight on my shoulders lifted. I was ready to leave the past behind and move on with my life and my future with Luke.

Luke's phone started to ring, interrupting our beautiful moment.

He declined the call, but it rang again. He decided to answer the unknown number, placing it on speaker.

"Hello?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Did you think it would be that easy? Enjoy those billions, Luke Parker. I hope they were worth your wife's life," a muffled voice said from the other side of the phone.

"Who the hell-"
Luke's voice was cut off by the sound of a gun going off.

The white shirt Luke was wearing was stained red before I felt an excruciating pain. I screamed out in agony and felt my body go limp.

"I love you, Luke," was the last thing I managed to say.