Chapter 14

*Kendra's POV*

Hours had passed, and Luke remained unresponsive. I sat on the floor beside the couch, resting my head on his chest. My mind was exhausted from the emotional rollercoaster I had experienced today, so I didn't resist when sleep overtook me.

I felt a hand caress my hair, and I quickly lifted my head to look at Luke, but his eyes remained closed. Had I imagined it?

"Luke," I whispered, but there was no response.

"Princess," a voice behind me startled me.

I stood up quickly, unsure if I was in immediate danger. I turned around to see my dad, his soft eyes meeting mine. I gasped, feeling breathless.
"Dad?" I asked softly.

"Dad!" I screamed as it dawned on me that my dad was there. He was here.

I rushed into his arms as he opened them for an embrace. I wasn't sure if it was a good thing for him to be there. It meant he was stuck in the trials and could be in danger.

"Dad, listen. I don't think this place is safe," I said, pulling away from his embrace and looking him in the eyes to emphasize the seriousness of my words.

"Princess, I'm not really here. This is just a dream," he explained.

"What? Why does it feel so real?" I asked, bewildered.

"It must be your subconscious helping you cope. Since the last memories you recovered were of me, that must be why I'm here," he explained, gently caressing my hair.

I nodded as I processed the information.

"Princess, listen. I don't have much time before you wake up. I just wanted to let you know I love you very much. You have always been my special girl. Stay strong, my princess," my dad said emotionally, kissing the top of my head softly.

"Now, please lay back down and rest a bit longer," he said before disappearing into thin air.
"Thank you, Dad," I whispered to no one in particular.
I sat on the floor next to the couch where Luke still lay unconscious, resting my head on his chest as I slowly drifted back to sleep.

———

I was startled awake by a sudden movement, causing me to quickly shoot up and bump my head against something hard. As I looked up, I was met with Luke's beautiful green eyes staring back at me. He was holding me bridal style while walking down the hall.

"Luke! You're awake! Where are you taking me?" I asked, feeling a mix of emotions. My head was still throbbing from hitting what I assumed was Luke's hard jaw. I was excited to see him awake and well, but also curious about how long he had been up and where he was taking me.

"I was going to take you to your room so you could rest," Luke answered. Confusion washed over me as I furrowed my eyebrows.

"How do you know where my room is?" I asked, noticing his muscles tense at my question.

"I don't, but I've been in a few rooms already and they didn't seem girly enough to be yours," he chuckled, the vibrations rumbling through his chest.

I smiled playfully. "Are you always such a know-it-all?"

"Well, you saw the diplomas, I can't argue with that," he shrugged, stopping at a door and swiftly opening it.

As he had predicted, it was my room. Everything was exactly where I had left it, from my first poster of Maroon 5 to my high school diploma in a frame. Luke gently laid me down and turned to walk out.

"Can't you stay?" I pouted.

"You want me to stay and... lay next to you?" he paused, furrowing his eyebrows as he considered his words.

"If that's okay with you," I nodded.

He smiled and settled into bed next to me, removing his shoes. We quickly got under the covers and faced each other, our noses just inches apart.

I inched closer, pressing my forehead against his. He closed his eyes and let out a ragged breath.

"You drive me crazy," he said breathlessly.

"You do the same for me," I replied, running my hands through his hair, eager for a reaction.

His restraint waned as he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer. He brought his lips to mine, starting off gently but soon intensifying with desire.

Taking the lead, I flipped us over so I was straddling him, maintaining the connection. This took him by surprise, but he quickly adjusted, gripping my hips as I moved against him, seeking friction.

"We need to stop," he breathed, finally opening his eyes to meet mine.

"I don't want to stop, Luke. I want to feel close to you," I whispered.

"We can't do this. Not yet. Trust me," he said.

I trusted Luke with my life, despite only reconnecting a few days ago. The trust and connection felt as strong as it did in the flashbacks and dreams.

I only nodded, letting him know i understood. He placed his hand on my neck, guiding my head to rest on his chest. I listened to his heartbeat, matching the pace of mine, and felt myself drifting off to sleep, comforted in his embrace.

As I fell into a deep slumber, I thought I heard Luke whisper, "I love you, Kendra."

An: Sorry for the short chapter! But I wanted to give you guys an update.
XO~ KC