Chapter 22

*Luke's POV*

I watched as the earth covered Kendra's casket, feeling a surge of nerves that I tried to distract by clenching and unclenching my fist. Placing a red rose on the freshly turned soil, I silently made my way back to my car.

Dialing my mother's number, I brought the phone to my ear. "The funeral is over. I'm on my way now," I informed her before ending the call.

Arriving at my parents' house, the security guard quickly let me in upon seeing my car. I hurried to the door, where my mother was already waiting for me.

"She's been asking for you," my mother told me.

Looking around, I replied, "Not here," before heading inside.

I jogged up the stairs, skipping steps as I made my way to my bedroom. Opening the door, I saw Kendra's head shoot up, a weak smile on her face as she saw me.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I asked softly as I approached the other side of the bed, sliding in next to her without disturbing the bed too much.

"I'm feeling better now that you're here. How was my funeral? Did anyone show up?" she inquired.

"A lot of people did. I made sure to inform your dad about everything so he wouldn't suffer. He knows what he has to do," I reassured her.

~4 days ago~

I witnessed Kendra's body hitting the ground, and without hesitation, I scooped her up and rushed us to safety in my car. I sped away, not giving the psychopath who shot her a chance to strike again.

With trembling hands, I dialed the only person I could think of in that moment - my mother. Her voice on the other end brought me some comfort.

"Mother, Kendra's been shot. I'm on my way to your house. Please get our private doctor there now," I pleaded.

"He'll be here," she assured me, giving me the reassurance I needed.

I glanced at Kendra's bleeding side, knowing I had to get her help quickly before she bled out.

Applying pressure to her wound with one hand, I navigated through city traffic with the other. Arrived at my parents' house in record time.

Carrying Kendra inside, my mother opened the door and informed me that Dr. Blake was setting up in my room.

As Dr. Blake worked on removing the bullet, my mother and I sat in the dining room, feeling more at ease now that Kendra was safe. Dr. Blake then approached us with an update.

"The bullet missed any vital organs, and the blood transfusion was successful. However, I couldn't provide strong painkillers due to her condition. She'll be in a lot of pain, so you need to keep her comfortable," he explained.

"Her condition?" I inquired, my eyebrows furrowing in concern.

"I apologize, I assumed you were aware. Your wife is 8 weeks pregnant," he responded.

The news hit me like a ton of bricks. After years of waiting, Kendra and I were finally going to be parents.

My heart raced with excitement as I glanced at my mother, who had a twinkle in her eye and a smile on her face.

My mother and Kendra had a tumultuous relationship. She had opposed our marriage due to financial concerns, but now, with our newfound wealth, her objections seemed irrelevant.

I pondered what kind of grandmother my mother would be. Would she be as distant as she had been in my life? Her beaming smile suggested otherwise.

"How is my grandchild?" my mother eagerly asked Dr. Blake.

"The fetus is healthy. You were fortunate the bullet missed her stomach. Otherwise, we would be having a very different conversation," Dr. Blake informed us.

"I expect complete discretion in this matter," my mother stated firmly.

"Of course, Mrs. Parker, as always," Dr. Blake reassured before exiting the room.

"What am I going to do, Mom?" I asked in frustration, burying my head in my hands on the table, unconsciously using the term 'mom' for the first time instead of 'mother'.

"We need to plan a funeral," she replied, causing me to look up in confusion.

"Whoever is responsible will continue to target Kendra. They must believe their attempt was successful. I have contacts who can help us stage her death. The key is to make it convincing. Kendra will remain here until we uncover the truth," my mother explained.

I had never realized where my cunning came from, but her deceptive plan made it clear.

I nodded in agreement. "Thank you, Mom."

"That's what families do," she reassured, placing her hand over mine.

"We protect our own."

~Present~

I gently placed my hand over Kendra's stomach, being careful not to disturb her side.

"I can't believe this is finally happening," I said, smiling up at her.

"Believe it. In just a couple of months, there will be a little Luke wreaking havoc all over the place," Kendra replied, snorting and then making an uncomfortable noise as she tried to adjust in bed.

"I think it'll be a little Kendra," I mused.

She shook her head with a smile, as we often disagreed.

"You know what's the weirdest thing? Your mother is being scarily nice. It's a bit creepy. I don't know what has gotten into her," Kendra confessed in a whisper, making sure only we could hear.

I chuckled. "You're carrying her grandchild. Get used to her pampering and breathing down your back from now on," I replied, amused as Kendra's eyes widened.

Looking at her with love and adoration, I thought about our future together. Despite the uncertainty due to the threat we were facing, one thing was certain - I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Kendra.

"I love you, Kendra," I said, smiling as I continued to gently rub her stomach.

"I love you, Luke."

-End of the Subconscious Trials-

An: Hi readers! So we are done with Luke and Kendra's story for now..

I hope you join in my next book.
I've already started writing and have some fun plans for this new book.

I appreciate each and everyone of you.

One last XO~ KC