Chapter 8

*Luke's POV*

I was back at the lab, brushing Kendra's hair while recounting my flashback to Hensley. "The flashback I experienced was unlike any typical memory recall in real life. The experimental setup allowed me to fully immerse myself in the flashback, feeling as though I was actually present in that moment. I was genuinely surprised by this unexpected occurrence."  I shared my astonishment with Hensley as I now attempted to braid Kendra's soft waves.

"It is not surprising that your brain is recognizing similar patterns and triggering them," Hensley explained as he handed me a hair tie.

I was taken aback. "But why now? I've never experienced this in previous trials. I must admit, I am quite confused."

Hensley offered an explanation, "Well in my expert opinion, Dr. Parker, it could be because of the close relationship that has developed during this trial. In the past, your relationship with Mrs.Parker was always platonic, but now it has evolved." Hensley's words served as a reminder of our past failures.

"Hensley, I've entrusted you with my life and Kendra's. I think it's about time you start calling me Luke," I offered. Hensley had been by my side since the very beginning. While I had others who helped with the experiment and many more employees working on various projects, Hensley quickly earned my trust. His hard work and dedication to the project, which had the potential to give me my life back, rightfully earned him his position as Principal Investigator during my absence.

"Well, in that case, Luke, I'd like for you to call me Riley. Mr. Hensley makes me feel as old as my father," he scrunched up his face. Riley was a few years older than me, at 38, while I was 34. Kendra and I met when I was 23 and she was 21. We dated for five years before I finally mustered up the courage to ask her to marry me.

Two years later, my wife and I became Mr. and Mrs. Parker. It was a joyous occasion, but our happiness was short-lived. About two years into our marriage, we received the devastating news that she had been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease.

This was particularly shocking as it is rare for patients in their 30s to develop this condition. As a scientist, I understood the risks, but seeing her exhibit all the symptoms was still heartbreaking. Her Alzheimer's progressed rapidly, and within a year, she had lost herself completely.

From the moment of her diagnosis, I dedicated myself to finding a solution. By the time I lost her, I was prepared to begin trials.

Unfortunately, for almost a year, there was no evidence that the trials were effective. That is, until now.

A smile spread across my face. "Riley, it is."

"I should return now. Day 3 of the trial is beginning, and I am eager to see what it has in store," I said as I gently pressed a kiss to Kendra's forehead.

*Kendra's POV*

We were currently on Day 3 of what was being referred to as the trials, at least according to the annoying message that appeared in the sky this morning. As we entered our building, I shared with Luke that I had yet another dream last night.

Luke stopped walking and turned to me, giving me his full attention. "You called me Kendra," I said with a smile, recalling how it sounded as it left his mouth.

"Kendra, such a beautiful name," Luke remarked. "It is thought to be of British origin, meaning 'knowing,' although it might have originated from the ancient Celtic tongue, having a meaning of 'royal' or 'chief hero'." He seemed surprised by his knowledge of the name, as he quickly furrowed his eyebrows.

As he spoke, a sense of familiarity washed over me, as if his words had been uttered before. My intuition proved correct when another interpretation of my name sprang to mind.

"You mentioned it could also mean 'bold power'," I recalled.  I also remembered his interpretation of my name had previously prompted a discussion about my lineage. A smile crept across my face as I realized this particular revelation was not a mere flashback or dream, but a genuine memory. It instilled a sense of achievement, knowing I had recalled it unaided.

"Did you experience another flashback?" he inquired, clearly surprised by my recollection.

"No, Luke, this one came to me on my own!" I exclaimed with excitement.

"That's incredible, Kendra! You may be regaining your memories," he exclaimed, lifting me up and twirling us around, his smile radiating happiness. Setting me back down, he gazed down at me, still cradling me in his arms.

"You could be too! Unless you had a 5-second flashback between me telling you my name and you telling me its meaning." I beamed back at him while my hands unconsciously reached up to play with his hair.

He closed his eyes as I played with the ends of his hair. When he opened them again, his pupils dilated as his gaze focused on my lips. My eyes met his as he ran his tongue across his bottom lip, making them even more enticing than before.

"I really want to kiss you," he said, leaning down to press his forehead against mine.

"Then do it," was all the permission he needed before his lips met mine in a passionate kiss.

This encounter was more intense than our previous one. My thoughts were racing as I recalled the vivid dream I had last night. We found ourselves in our bedroom, engaged in a heated make-out session.

The situation quickly escalated to the point where we were both ripping our clothes off. What I had neglected to mention to Luke was that I had discovered my name through his breathy moans. However, I don't believe I would be able to bring myself to provide a detailed explanation of the activities that transpired between us.

Luke's hands sliding up and down my hips brought me back to the present moment. I desired more, but I restrained myself. We were still in the process of   getting to know each other .

I continued to play with his hair, now tugging at the ends, which he seemed to enjoy, causing a small moan to escape his lips. He groaned and pulled away.

"We should stop. My self-control is hanging by a thread," he said, pressing his forehead to mine and closing his eyes to compose himself.

I frowned, reluctant to halt our interaction, but I knew I shouldn't push it.

"Let's return to your office and see if we can discover anything else," I suggested, stepping out of his embrace and taking his tatted hand to lead him up the stairs. As we ascended the stairs, I attempted to release his hand, but Luke intertwined our fingers in response.

———
"Maybe you should try and sit at your desk again. It might trigger a flashback." I offered. Since we got here we have come up empty-handed as always.

Luke nodded in agreement and made his way over to his desk. As he sat down, he stared at his keyboard for a moment before confidently declaring, "I've got it."

AN: Do you guys think Luke has the right password? Will they find out the truth behind the trials? Don't worry I won't make you guys wait you'll find out in the next chapter. Until then.
XO ~KC