Morning

The next morning was just as quiet as the night before. The atmosphere was tense as everyone ate breakfast John had prepared. He had prepared several different types of food, catering to their likes and dislikes just like he used to back when they were kids. It was a subconscious thing, he didn’t even know he did it until he sat down with a plate full of mismatched food. Leftovers and scraps from the several different dishes he made.

He didn’t comment on it, only ate it. Some things never change, he ponders, no matter how long it’s been. None of the brothers noticed anyway. Or so he thought.

Branch had noticed right away. He was good about that kind of thing. He noticed the different breakfasts catered to each of his siblings. He noticed that his own fruit salad had mostly strawberry and ringberry, his favorites from as long as he could remember. He noticed that John’s plate was full of all sorts of things, nothing matching and leaking into each other. And yet the eldest made no complaint. He simply ate the food.

They were halfway through breakfast when Floyd’s head whipped around. Now fully awake he noticed that someone was missing. “Uh, where’s Moonbloom? John? Did you see where she went?”

“No. She was in the tent when I went to bed, but gone when I woke up.” John informed Floyd, a slightly worried look on his face. He didn’t think to raise any alarm over his disappearance. She seemed like a Troll that could handle herself just fine. “I assumed she went on a walk or something, and would be back soon.”

“That would be something she’d do, but it’s been a while.” Bramble spoke and rested an arm across Floyd's shoulder. A quiet man, the others had noticed.

“Yeah, I’m just worried ab-” Floyd was cut off by a thud heard right behind the camp. They all turned their heads to the noise, eyes wide in surprise. Even Rhonda had woken up from her slumber to check out the sound.

There, maybe a foot into the tree line, Moonbloom was picking herself up from the ground. She dusted her clothes off, a frustrated look on her face. She stepped into their little campsite a bit disheveled but looking no worse for wear. She sat down next to Floyd on the ground and flopped backward.

“You good?” Floyd asked, looking his friend up and down. She had a few scrapes across her arms and a small tear was in her shirt. Overall she didn’t look bad.

“Yes. It has been a while since I last slept in a tree.” She spoke, her morning tiredness making her accent thicker. Her eyes were closed as she lay spread out as best she could with a fire at her feet.

John wasn’t fully paying attention, racking his brain to think. He knows he knows where her accent is from. He knows he does. He just can’t quite put his finger on it. He’s been thinking for three days now. Well, with timing all, more like thirty-six hours. Still, it was bugging him.

“Why were you sleeping in a tree?” Branch questioned, waving his hand as he did. Next to him, Poppy rested heavily against his shoulder. She was still half asleep and picking at her food.

“John's snoring and sleep apnea were keeping me up.” She told them as she sat back up. She gratefully accepted the plate of food offered to her. “If it stayed one way or the other it would have been fine. But it would stop and go and stop and go. I got fed up some time after midnight and climbed nearest tree. It was a peaceful sleep, till I awoke and fell.”

“Shit, sorry my snoring kept you up.” John winced, knowing that at times it got loud enough to put a hibernating bumblebear to shame. Or at least that’s what his friends would say. “I don’t have sleep apnea though.”

“Oh, finally. You learn how to apologize.” Clay jabbed grouchily as he stabbed a piece of his pancake with his fork. Viva lightly elbowed him in the side to scold him.