Chapter 11: Quincy

This chapter takes place simultaneously to Stella's POV in Chapter 10
---------

The limousine pulls up outside the military building and the driver opens the door to unload us. As soon as we step out, I feel the change in atmosphere. The mood is grim and ominous, like a heavy weight hanging over our heads. The air is thick with tension and a pervasive sense of dread.

I feel sets of eyes and distant whispers on me and Stella.
I can almost feel the gazes boring into me like sharp needles, drilling into my skin and piercing my flesh. The heat of their attention grates on me like sandpaper, and I'm tempted to turn around and lash out at everyone with a growl of irritation. Instead, I dig deep, forcing my emotions down and swallowing my anger. Not showing any type of irritation, or fury.

I urge Stella to wait for me in the room nearby. This isn't her place to be after all. I only asked her to accompany me so I'll be sure she doesn't burn my house down.

It'll take more than a few days for me to trust her completely.
Until then, I've got my eye on her.
And as for the outfit;
Well, being my assistant, she needed to look the part.

"Attention!" The captain's voice loud and clear.

The room immediately falls silent and all the soldiers come to attention and bow their heads. Everyone's faces are stoic and determined, showing that they are ready for the orders to come.

"At ease." I order them.
Being their general, I have a lot of authority and respect among these soldiers.

As they look straight ahead with their hands by their sides, their faces display absolute obedience, and their expression shows no signs of weakness or fear. It shows what months of training in our harsh methods can do to you.

"Captain, what's the general overview of our current situation?"
I turn to Captain Robinson.

If it's one man I trust, it would be no other than him. He took me into custody when I was twelve.

He gave me a home, fed and trained me. Then at the age of eighteen, he convinced me to join the military. Robinson is the reason why I am who I am today.

"Our current situation is dire, sir. The auronian forces have been inflicting heavy casualties on our troops" He explains, clenching his fists tightly.

"We're short on manpower. We have been unable to hold the line and have been pushed back to the edge of our territory. Unless something is done soon, we could be facing a complete defeat."

"I see. How many of our men have they taken down?" I ask him, raising an eye brow.

"597, sir." I saw a glimpse of terror, and regret spread across Robinson's face. If someone else had seen it, they might've thought it was his resting face, but being here, knowing tells me that he's afraid we won't make it.

As the days pass, I'm beginning to notice that Robinson and the soldiers' morale is increasingly negative. Despite the heavy losses we've suffered, I always told myself that we haven't lost all hope yet.

Moral is one of the most important factors in war. Having high morale is essential for a successful military campaign, as it can help soldiers perform better, keep battling despite the hardships, and maintain a fighting spirit.

Without it, the will to fight often erodes quickly, and soldiers can become demoralized and begin to doubt the whole cause. In a war, maintaining high morale is crucial for success, and it's essential for a leader to keep the morale of their troops high through inspiring speeches, reward and recognition, and other positive methods.

"We can't just sit back and allow them to keep taking more of our territory.

We will tire them out with our defenses, and when their resolve is worn thin, that's when they'll be caught off-guard. Then our attackers will strike back with a force stronger than they can resist."

A soldier raises their hand in the corner of my vision.

I've always had a reputation for being tough on my soldiers, leading to most of them being afraid to speak up. I turn to the soldier with a stern look on my face and glare at him intensely.

"Yes, Davies?" I ask, not fighting the urge to roll my eyes.

"With all due respect, sir. The attacker always has the advantage over the defender if their defense is not up to par."

"Yes, you are right." I looked straight into Davies' eyes and it's was clear the expression on his face said
I am?

"I expect you to know better than to accuse me of coming here without a well thought-out plan, soldier.

A barrier will be created to slow and weaken the attacker's advances. When their number of attackers are low enough, we'll hit them with our forces."

"They may have a lot of shiny equipment, but what they lack is brains. They're nothing but a bunch of fools and idiots who don't know how to use their wealth to their advantage. They may have the resources but lack the brains to use them effectively." I say, way too calmly to be a frustrated rant.

As I finish speaking, the room falls quiet, a noticeable murmur slowly rising as the soldiers take in my words. Some of them look away uneasily, while others hold my gaze with stiff expressions of obedience. The soldiers disperse, their faces a mixture of unease and resignation as they exit the room, their eyes casting furtive glances back to me.
I nod, which they take as a sign for dismissal.

I look back at the thousands of soldiers standing at attention, facing me in a line. Their arms are locked together, and they're all holding their military salutes. I hold their gaze for a few moments as I look at each one of them individually, taking in their faces and expressions.

I take a few steps out the room, and head to the room Stella is waiting in.