Chapter 12: Stella

Instead of leaving him there, Quincy picked Sam up and looked at me, gesturing me to walk out the door and that he'll be right after me.

I walk out to see the army of people continuing to chatter about their attack plans and patterns. But after seeing Quincy appear behind me a man walked up to us.

I stop to stare and smile at him, he smiled back and tilts his head in Quincy's direction as he sets Sam down.

"Papa!" Sam says with a smile, and goes to stand beside the man.

A small smile forms on Quincy's expression. Probably the first of his I've ever seen.

"Captain" Quincy smiles, but I catch a glimpse of something that seemed there was more to these two than what meets the eye. They seemed to have history by the way they looked at each other.

"Has my boy been behaving?" The man asks Sam. Sam nods with an innocent grin.

"This is Stella, my assistant."
Quincy introduces me to him.
"And Stella, this is Captain Robinson"

Captain Robinson. Sam's dad I suppose, gave me another smile.

"Have you been taking care of him, Stella?" I nod at him, chuckling.

"He's adorable sir." I answer him, none of those words being lies.

"We'd best get going. We're already behind schedule." Quincy checks his watch for a split second then looks at me with his neutral expression.

Sam turns to me once more and gives me another tight hug.
"Will I get to see you again?"

I wasn't sure of that question, but nod anyway.
"Yes, yes you will buddy."

Quincy walks away from the two of them, I follow behind shortly.
Failing to keep up but I try anyway.

"Why the dress? I thought we were going to some fancy party or something?" I ask him, my steps turning into a small jog.

"They don't expect anything less than perfection from me. I'd like to keep it that way." He responds

"I can't have my assistant showing up in rags. That would be quite unpleasant."

We arrive at the same limo from earlier and step in. Getting into the rear section from before, a woman comes to serve us drinks as we sit down.

"Wine, General?" The woman asks Quincy with a bright smile on her face. "No, thank you." He replies.

She then eyes me and before she could say anything I meet her gaze and shake my head
"Thanks, though."

The woman walks away to serve other passengers on the limo.

I turn to him, millions of questions in my mind.
"I didn't know you were in the army"

"You never asked." He responded

"Why do you have a rapier? Do soldiers use that?"

"Firstly, I'm not a soldier. And secondly, they don't. I keep it because it's satisfying to kill with.
People have a habit of breaking into my house uninvited." He shifts his undying gaze towards me.

"Mind you, you were the one who dragged me in. I never had the intention to break into that palace you call a house."

"The whole village is my territory, Stacey. I own it." He sighs

"And knocking me out with a rock, or whatever you did was necessary?" I frown at him.

"You seemed like a threat at the time."

"And now?" I smile, already knowing the answer to the question.

"I'm not answering that." He looks away from me, and once again continues looking out the window.