Chapter One: Madison

Fourteen years of my life, wasted on a love that was not true. I gave him everything. My heart, family, my time, and what for? A broken heart and three wonderful kids, that is all I got. Oh, and you cannot forget the bruises and bad memories.

Now it is just me and the kids. A single mother of three putting all her dreams on the back burner. Putting everything aside to care for her children and provide for them.

I love my children and they will always be my priority. Everything I do is for them. I love seeing them happy, it makes the bad days bearable. They are the best part of my life.

Sometimes life is funny, you know that saying 'running from your past'? Well, I ran right back into it. Ran from my abusive father to a man just like him. Like they say, 'you marry someone like your father.'

Blinded by all the hurt and pain. Never knowing if you made the right decision before it is too late. You can try to make it work out, but sometimes it is not worth the tears and pain. No matter how hard you try, sometimes it doesn't work out.

I am over him and all the pain he caused our family. Isolating me from friends and family. Never allowing me to be myself. All the put downs and negative words, aimed straight towards my heart. I will never forgive him, or myself.

I will never forgive myself for staying with that monster. I will never forgive myself for letting him hurt our children. All the painful words he said to them. No child should have to go through what they did. My heart breaks for them. I wish I could be a better mother to them. They will never have to wonder if I will be there or if I love them.

I am tired of running, tired of always moving. I want to stay in one place for my children. It is not fair to them. Always packing up their lives and breaking their hearts in the process. I hate that I must do this to them.

Why can I not stay hidden? Somehow, I always put us in danger. I try so hard to give them the life they deserve. Not a life full of running. When will it be our turn for happiness? Do we not deserve our fairy tale?

So many questions, not enough answers. Question after question, but still no answers. My life is falling apart, but there is no prince charming to come save me.

************

Two hours on the road with three kids is a nightmare. As a mom you always get to be the referee. From calling each other names, to hitting when mom is not looking. Did I mention that it comes with headaches? So many headaches.

My younger two, Noah and Sofia are in the back. Seeing who produces the worst name. Hint the headache. My oldest one, Emma, is in the front seat, headphones in. Likely listening to Jonas Brothers, her favorite boy band.

Teenagers, I sighed glancing over at mine. It is like looking back in time. Me listening to the same band, wishing I could be any place else. Breaking my heart knowing that I put her through the same thing I was put through.

Swiping a tear away, before one of them notices. I cannot break down in front of them. I must be strong. I will be strong.

"I have to pee!" Yelled Sofia, causing a ringing in my ears. That will help with my headache.

"We will be there soon." I replied, trying to sound stronger than I feel. After so many years of faking it, the mask is still hard to put on.

"I'm hungry." Noah added.

"We will stop when we get to town." I told them, glancing in the rearview mirror. Seeing my son staring back at me. He looks just like his dad. Same brown hair and blue eyes. I hope he turns out to be a better man than his father.