Chapter Twelve: Lucas

Maddie and the kids left for her mom's house a few hours ago. I know they made it there safe, but I am still worried about them. It was the hardest thing I had to do, watching them drive away from me. After the night and day, we had together, I want that every day, for the rest of my life. Having a family in my house filled the loneliness up with love.

I know for certain now that she is my forever. The love of my life, the woman who makes each day brighter. They should be here right now at family supper. They belong here, they are a part of this family now. I will never be able to let them go.

*SMACK*

Jumping in my seat and placing my hand over the side of my head. Where it is throbbing from being hit there by Nate. When did he sneak up behind me?

"What was that for?" Giving my younger brother a menacing look.

"Where is your head at? We have been trying to talk to you." Jackson asked from his spot at the table.

"Nowhere." I lied, lowering my head, and staring at my plate.

"They left, didn't they?" Grayson asked from beside me.

"Who?" Ryan asked.

"They did." I said, ignoring Ryan's question.

"Do you think they will be okay?" Grayson asked, worry scrawled across his face.

"I sure hope they are." I replied, shaking my head. Just thinking about them in danger all by themselves, makes me want to jump in my truck and go after them.

"Maddie or Emma will call you if anything happens." Grayson tried to reassure me. Nothing will help the way I am feeling, until they are under my roof and safe.

"What's going on?" Mom questioned. "Something is going on, and I want to know what it is."

"Is it not obvious to any of you?" Gramps asked from the head of the table. "His mind is with Maddie and the children. He is worried about them, and he has every right to be."

"You always know what to say, Gramps." I told him. It is true too, Gramps sees everything, no words necessary.

"Lucas, you need to tell them what is going on. They need to know." Grayson said, placing his hand on my shoulder. Giving me the encouragement that I needed.

So, I did. I told them everything that I know about Maddie's past and what all her ex has done to her and the kids. I told them everything that has happened since they moved to town. I told them about our night last night with the kids, leaving out the private details. I told them that Maddie and I are together, and how I asked her to move in with me. I also told them how Maddie's mom told her to find someone to watch the kids, all because I came into their lives.

I told them almost everything, however I kept Maddie's deepest secret close to my heart. The room was silent as I explained to them Maddie's troubles. Which are my troubles now too, she will never be alone again.

"That's terrible. Those poor children, going through that. And Maddie, she is so strong for going through this alone. I am glad that she found you, Lucas." Mom said, placing her napkin on her plate.

"Are you sure that what she says is true? She could be lying about this whole thing to get you to feel sorry for her." Nate said with his arms crossed, leaning back in his chair. I could feel the anger building up as I balled my napkin into my fist. This is something you do not mess around with. That is my family he is talking about, and I will not put up with it. Luckly for Nate, Grayson spoke up before I could say or do anything.