Chapter Six: Lucas

I knew Maddie would not agree the first time I asked her out, but it has been five times! Five dang times I have asked that woman out. I did not ask her every time I saw her. I do not want her to think that I am some kind of stocker.

She is still telling me she needs time. I will give her all the time she needs but I need to feel her touch again. I want to feel the softness of her hand again. I want to take a deep breath of her perfume. I want to smell the fruity scent of her hair again. I want to feel her lips against mine.

I have turned into the world's biggest sap. What am I thinking, of course, I will give her time. She has been through so much and I need to respect that. I am better than that man, putting his hands on her.

I am not going to give up though. I will keep seeing her and asking her out. I will not be pushy or anything like that. I want to show her that I will be there for her. I want to show her that I stick to my word. I will show her how a real man is supposed to treat a woman. How a real man cares for his kids.

My thoughts are wrapped around that family. All my thoughts centered around them. I feel protective of them, I care about them. I want that family; I want to show them what a real family is.

* SMACK! *

"Hey!" I yelled, jumping up and placing my hand to my head, where Grayson hit me. "What was that for?" I faced him with a glare.

"If you were not lost in La, La Land I would not have to smack you upside the head. Now, are you going to listen to me, since you are not helping with this fence?" Grayson told me shaking his head like I am a loss cause.

"Yes, I am listening to you." I replied, crossing my arms in front of my chest. Scowling at my brother.

"Has Maddie said yes yet?"

"Nope." I said popping the P. "She said she needs more time." Why is he asking about her? He knows I would be in a better mood if she did.

"I may have a solution that will help you out."

"Okay, good. What is your plan?" I asked him, intrigued by his solution.

"I will tell you in the truck." Grayson started walking fast towards my truck. I had to jog just to keep up with him. He might be more excited about this than I am.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I shut the door to my dark green F-250.

"To the store, I told you I had a plan to help you." Ironically, the name is The Store. I would have never thought of that, but I would not name my dog, Dog.

"Are you going to tell me your plan?"

"Nope, you just have to follow my lead and trust me."

"Really, you are going to keep me in the dark?"

"Just trust me. You should catch on quickly if you are smart enough." Grayson laughed aloud, enjoying the pain that he is causing me.

"Is it a least a good plan?" I hope he really does have a plan.

"Will you just trust me?" Greyson groaned out, leaning back in his seat.

"Fine." I huffed out, turning up the volume on the radio. The song is a classic country song that everyone should know. Should've Been a Cowboy by Toby Keith. One of the legends right there.

************

"Hey Maddie, look what the cat dragged in." Bella laughed, getting Maddie's attention. She is breath taking, taking my breath away without even trying. I swear she gets prettier every time I see her. No make-up again and her normal outfit of jeans, a tee, and sneakers. Her hair is pulled back into a ponytail. I wonder how long her hair is? I bet she looks amazing with it down.