Chapter Eleven: Madison

It has been four days since Lucas asked me to be his. At first, I was scared to jump into another relationship. Lucas is good to me; he does not push me and wants to take things at my pace. I know eventually I will have to tell him everything and I plan too.

I have not seen or heard from Ethan since his last message. I am hoping that he is nowhere close to me. I bet all he is trying to do is scare me. I have been driving to and from work without anything going wrong. I do not think he will find me.

Today we are going to have a sleepover at Lucas' house. I am planning to tell my mother before I run to Walmart. I want to tell her while the kids are gone. I do not want them here when mom decides to blow up on me for being with Lucas. She has not been supportive about me spending time with him. I do not know if she thinks she is protecting me or that fact that she needs to control someone. I am going to go with the latter on that one.

I finished getting our overnight bags together and sat them in the living room. I looked around the room, not hearing mom. I called her name as I made my way to her room. She is lying in bed with a book in hand, sometimes I think reading is the only thing we have in common.

"Hey mom, can I talk to?" I asked leaning against her door frame.

"What do you need to talk about?" she asked, placing her bookmark, and sitting the book aside.

"About Lucas, I know you cannot see it. But I really like him, and we are going to give us a shot. He is a nice guy, mom. He is nothing like dad. And I wanted you to know that Me and the kids will be with Lucas tonight."

"Is that right?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest, a tight smile on her lips.

"Yes mom, that is right."

"Well since you do not want to listen to what I think is best for you, go ahead. If you think he is so different go ahead and see how he treats you. Also, you need to find someone to take your kids to school, I do not think it will be best for me."

"That is fine, mom. Are you kicking us out?" I did not think she would take this out on my children.

"No, you can still live here for now."

"Really mom? You are going to treat your daughter and grandkids this way?"

"Yes, and I will not be taking care of another baby, when he knocks you up and leaves alone to care for it." I know she does not know how much that line has hurt me. She does not know that I cannot have kids because of Ethan, I could not help the tear that slipped out.

"Bye mom." I told her, turning away from her and stepped away from the door, running into the living room to grab our bags. I put everything in the back seat and got behind the wheel.

This time when a tear fell, I did not care. I cried harder than I have ever cried. It always feels the same when they told me about the news at the hospital. It still hurts me every day knowing the reason why I could not have more kids. My phone ringing helped to slow down the tears that were streaming down my face. They were still there but not as drowning.

"He...hello?" I sobbed out, not caring who was on the other end.

"Darlin, what is wrong?" Lucas asked with concern in his voice.

"Nothing, I am fine." I told him, trying to stop the tears.

"No, you are not Maddie. I can hear you crying, please tell me."

"Just something mom said, I will get over it."

"Where are you and what did she say this time?"