Chapter Twenty: Lucas

It has been a week since we had that situation with Ethan. Everyone is still healing from all the trauma that he has caused. The kids have been happier than ever. Seeing their momma happy has made an impact on them.

It is nice not seeing them worried and in pain. I have seen a different side to all four of them. They are free of all the stuff Ethan has put them through. No more running away or looking over their shoulders. They were safe now.

I have a surprise for Maddie and our children tonight. My family is going to set up a cookout at our house with help from the children. Only Gramps knows what is really going to happen. What we are really going to celebrate.

We had a long talk this morning, Gramps, and me. We talked about everything, from Gramps' childhood to the present and future. He opened my eyes to a lot of things this morning. He is also going to help me with the parts that nobody else knows.

Mom should be here soon to keep an eye on the children. She is going to watch them while Maddie and I get the rest of their belongings from her mom's house. She said there was not much left to get.

"Make sure momma gets all my dresses." Sofia said from her spot beside me. She is a daddy's girl; she must always be near me.

"Don't forget my purple headphones." Emma reminded me from my other side. Texting away on her phone, hopefully a friend and not a boy. I am not ready for that yet.

"And my books!" Noah exclaimed from my chair. He is not only going to be a cowboy, but a writer like his momma. We had to get him, his own notebooks, and pencils.

I will make sure that we get everything. Do y'all remember our plan?" I asked, looking at the children around me.

"I will make sure everything is perfect tonight." Emma replied with a huge smile. She has been smiling more since she moved in here.

"Thanks, Emma. I can always depend on you."

"What about me?" Sofia demanded, crossing her little arms.

"I can depend on all three of you." I told them, as I tugged her ponytail.

"Hey! Stop that." she laughed, smacking my hand away from her. "You are going to mess up my hair."

"Gma, is here." Emma said, as she jumped up and ran out the front door to meet her. They have grown close, and she wants to do everything with mom.

"Go out and help them with the bags." I told them. "I am going to see if momma is ready to go."

"Okay!" They exclaimed, running out the door to help carry the bags in.

Standing up I headed for our bedroom, when I got to the doorframe, I leaned up against it. A smile on my face as I watched her scribbling away on her paper. Her hair falling around her face and biting down on her bottom lip. This girl distracts me from the world, it falls away whenever she is around.

She is lost in her own thoughts. I gently knocked my knuckles against the frame and cleared my throat. She jumped from the bed, throwing the paper and pencil across the room, and placing her hand over her heart.

"Don't do that! You scared the daylight out of me."

"Sorry, Darlin. I didn't mean to scare you." I said, trying to cover up my laugh with a cough. From the look on her face, I know I failed.

"What are you laughing about?" Maddie questioned, hand on her hips with her head tilted to the side.

"Nothing." I told her, hands up as I entered the room. "I came to see if you are ready to go? Mom is here and the kids are going to help her." I moved my eyes over her outfit, jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers and my favorite, no make-up. Her hair loose around her shoulders, she has been wearing it down more and said it helped with her headaches. She gets fewer of them now. With her hair always pulled up and with all the stress she had in her life, no wonder she had so many of them.