Chapter 1

"Kai, come on, we're gonna be late for your appointment if we don't leave in the next two minutes!" mama calls from the front door of our one level home.

"Be right there!" I call back from my bedroom, and grab my cell and wallet off the dresser before waddling out of the room toward mama.

We live in a three bedroom home with a laundry room, a living room, and a kitchen. Mama and I are going to a baby doctor appointment because I'm two weeks away from my due date in my  pregnancy with a boy. I became pregnant last summer during a fling I had with a tourist whom I spent the entire summer with while he was here with his dad. I wanted, and want to tell him, but we never exchanged numbers or social media to keep in contact because what we had was just for the summer. I can only hope that he comes back this summer, so I can tell him about our son, and introduce them to each other.

I'm excited yet nervous to meet my son, to go through the delivery without Grayson - that's the guy who I had the summer fling with. I'll have mama there in the delivery room with me, but I don't feel it'll be the same without Grayson, so that's part of my nervousness. I'm also nervous about the delivery being painful even with medication, and I'm worried about raising Kyrie on my own, and I'm terrified how Grayson will respond if I see him this summer, and tell him about our son. I'm excited though about meeting my baby, and teaching him everything I can, and watching him discover what the world has to offer him.

"Let's go, baby, and see your baby," mama says with a smile when I finally waddle myself into the living room with her.

Nodding with a tired smile since I'm so far into my pregnancy, I'm uncomfortable, and I can't get comfortable for too long while I'm sleeping. We leave the house with me, locking the door behind us, and climbing into mama's Chevy Cruze, and she drives us to the doctor's office which takes us ten minutes.

Checking in at the front counter, I join mama in the waiting area, sitting down carefully into the chair next to her, and we wait maybe ten minutes before I'm being called back by a male nurse. He checks my height and weight, and I've gained a pound since my last visit a week ago, and then he leads us into a room to wait for the doctor. The nurse checks my pulse and blood pressure before asking the routine questions.

"Are you excited for Kyrie's arrival?" mama asks once the nurse leaves the room, and I eagerly nod with a bright smile.

"Yes, definitely, but I'm a little nervous about his arrival, and raising him, too," I murmur, chewing on the right side of my bottom lip in nerves. "I'm sure everything will be fine, I'm just wondering about the unknown parts of everything."

"We'll talk more when we're home if you want," mama says as the doctor knocks softly on the door before entering the room, and shuts the door behind himself.

"Hello Kai, Mrs. Weston, how are we today?" Dr. Smith politely asks as he sits on his chair in front of me with a wide smile.

"I'm doing good, just uncomfortable," I answer honestly, and mama tells him she's doing well.

"Let's do your exam, and then if you have any questions for me, I can answer those," Dr. Smith replies, looking at the laptop for whatever he's looking for, and I murmur my agreement as I move back onto the exam table more. "Can you lie back for me, and fold your pants down some, and lift your shirt, please?"

"Okay," I whisper, doing as he asked.

He stands after squirting some hand sanitizer onto his hands, rubbing it into his skin as he stands to walk over to the right side of my body. He measures my bump, humming in approval before pressing his fingers over my bump to make sure Kyrie is still in the head down position.

"He's still head down which is great, and you're measuring right where you should be," Dr. Smith states, causing me to smile widely. "Now, I'm gonna have you pull your pants down, so I can check to make sure you're not dilating after I put a blanket over you, okay?"

"Okay," I murmur, feeling embarrassed, but I do as he asked because I know this needs to be done.

When he finishes the exam, I sit up with my legs off the edge of the bed to pull my pants back on, and my shirt down as Dr. Smith washes his hands.

"Your two centimeters dilated which is fine, and I have believe your baby will be born within the next two weeks," Dr. Smith informs me. "Now, do you have any questions for me?"

"How will the baby get out of me?" I nervously ask in a small voice. "Can my mama be in the room with me when I deliver?"

"Of course your mom can be in the room with you," he assures with a smile as he briefly glances at mama who nods before he looks back at me. "We're going to perform a c-section on you, so the big question for you to answer before you leave today is, what day would you like for your son to be born?"

Chewing on my lower lip, I pull my cell from my front pocket of my jeans to pull up the calendar app to look at the dates between now and two weeks from now.

"Can we do March fifteenth, please?" I request with wide, hopeful eyes at my doctor, and he's looking at the calendar on his laptop, and after a few clicks of the mouse, he turns to look at me with a soft smile.

"March fifteenth is fine, Kai," he confirms, and I can help the soft squeal of excitement that leaves my mouth. "We're going to do the surgery at eight in the morning, so you need to be here at seven, okay?"

Eagerly nodding, I agree, and a few minutes later the appointment has finished, and mama and I are heading home for the rest of the day.

"Do you want to help me and Marcus at the boutique for the rest of the day, or do you have homework that you need to finish?" mama asks as she drives us back toward home.

"I finished all of my homework earlier, so I want to help at the boutique," I reply with a smile, and a soft grunt of discomfort as I rub my bell where Kyrie is relentlessly kicking or punching me by my ribs.