Chapter 4

"Kai, have a cup of coffee, love," mama gently suggests as I sit down at the kitchen table for breakfast the next morning. "You look like you're seconds away from sleeping at the table while you eat."

Humming at her softly, I heave myself off the chair to pour myself a cup of coffee before joining her and Marcus at the table again.

"Rough night with Kyrie?" Marcus asks, and I hum again while taking an appreciative sip of the coffee that I had added caramel creamer to.

"He was up every two hours to eat and have his diaper changed," I answer sleepily while cutting up the pancake that's on the plate in front of me. "I love him dearly, so the lack of consistent sleep is worth the tiredness."

"He will eventually sleep fourish hours at a time, and gradually work his way to sleeping eight plus hours a night," mama states, and I nod in acceptance of her comment. "Marcus and I will be at the boutique all day, will you and Kyrie be okay here without us?"

"Yeah, we'll be fine, I promise," I answer through a loud yawn, and teary eyes. "If there's a problem, I'll call you at the boutique."

They nod in acceptance to my answer, and I know Kyrie and I will be fine on our own, besides I need to get used to taking care of my baby on my own because he's my responsibility. They leave twenty minutes later after breakfast has been finished and cleaned up.

"Well, my little dude, it's just us now until grammy and gramps are back home," I tell my son as I look down at him in my right arm with a fond smile toward his sleeping face. "What shall we do until then?"

Glancing around the living room, letting out a soft sight as I decide that I should work on my school work until Kyrie wakes again for another diaper change and another bottle. Gently placing him inside of his white bassinet, and covering him from the waist down with his lime green blanket with a cartoon monkey, I sit down on the couch with my laptop resting on my criss-crossed legs to work.

An hour later, I've finished three classes worth of homework when Kyrie lets out his first small cry. Placing my laptop on the coffee table in front of me. Standing, I close the distance between me and his bassinet, carefully taking him out, and carrying him to my bedroom to change his dirty diaper. Quickly changing him, and zipping up his jammies, I carry him back out to the kitchen to prepare his two-ounce bottle.

Settling us on the couch, I feed him the bottle while scrolling through the Hulu options for something to listen to while feeding Kyrie. Finally deciding on the show, 'The Fosters,' I click on the episode about 'Nick' who brought the gun to school. When Kyrie finishes the two-ounces, I lie him on my right shoulder to burp him.

When Kyrie is sleeping again, I place him back in the bassinet to finish my homework while listening to 'The Fosters' until I've finished an hour later. Now that I'm caught up with my homework, I can't help but wonder what to do now until Kyrie's awake again, and I decide to clean. Two hours later, I've fully cleaned the living room, kitchen, bathroom, and my bedroom that I share with Kyrie. 

After feeding and changing Kyrie, I decide to grab his stroller from my room, and quickly pack his diaper bag because I've that we're going to walk down to the boutique, and help if we can. If we're not needed, we might just walk around the downtown area where the boutique is located. When I have us ready, we leave the house after double checking to make sure I have everything we will need until we're back home later. Locking the front door behind us, I push Kyrie in his stroller down the sidewalk toward the boutique, and we arrive about ten minutes later. The entire walk, I'm enjoying the fresh Spring air, and the warm sun shining down onto my body.

Entering the boutique through the front door when a lovely gentleman holds the door for us with a smile and a soft 'thank you'. Glancing around the semi busy shop, I can't help but feel proud at the hard work that mama and Marcus have placed into this shop, and how successful the business has become for them. I spot mama off to the right of the door, conversing with a man in his mid-forties, and Marcus is behind the counter, checking out a woman that doesn't appear to be more than two or three years older than me.

Pushing the stroller around a few displays, I make our way to the counter, joining Marcus, and give him a smile when he glances briefly at us. Removing my black zip up hoodie, I place it in the bottom of the stroller behind Kyrie's diaper bag before removing Kyrie's thick blanket and hat, and leaving those with my coat.

Focusing my attention on Marcus after checking to make sure that he's still sleeping, which he is, while I tell my step-dad; "I've finished all of my homework, cleaned the entire house, and decided to come down to help if needed."

Marcus nods; "Good job even though you didn't need to clean. I don't think we need any help here, but double check with Steph."

"Will do, and if we're not needed here, we're going to walk around town for a little while," I answer, and Marcus hums in reply as another customer steps up to the counter to checkout.

When mama arrives behind the counter, she tells me that they don't need me to work, and thanks me for cleaning, though I didn't need to clean. Getting Kyrie and I dressed to leave the boutique, we exit through the front door, and start our walk around downtown when I decide to walk around dad's used bookstore, and visit with him for a little while since he wasn't able to visit Kyrie and I while we were at the hospital.