Chapter 9

"Kai, can we talk to you about Grayson for a few minutes?" mama asks as I carry Kyrie into the living room from the bedroom after changing his diaper after his feeding.

My entire body whomps with fear and anxiety at her question. Silently nodding at her, walking over to the couch, and settling us at the opposite end of mama while Marcus is sitting on the end of the recliner.

"We were wondering what you and Grayson have figured out in regards to Kyrie?" mama starts off, and she has a serious expression on her face as does Marcus. "Have you boys discussed visitations, child support, and what you two are?"

"Um, we've discussed child support and visitations," I honestly answer while lightly chewing on my lower lip. "We've agreed on a hundred dollars a month, and every other weekend, and every other major holiday for visitations. I'm not sure what you're asking about what Grayson and I are."

They nod at my answer with mama clarifying the last part of my answer; "Are you and Grayson in a relationship, are you boys two single people who are going to co-parent Kyrie, or something else?"

"Um, we haven't discussed what our relationship status together is," I honestly answer in a small voice with red tinted cheeks.

"Oh, from the way you two act around each other, I would have guessed you boys were in a dating relationship," Marcus says from his spot with a surprised expression which I don't understand.

"How do we act around each other? What do you mean?" I ask because I'm completely confused.

Marcus and mama give me matching 'duh' expressions as if I'm being dense about whatever they're implying.

"What we mean, Kai, is that you two are like magnets, always gravitating toward each other when you are together," mama explains as if I should have known this. "When you and Grayson are together, it's like you bring out the best in each other without realizing this. We just assumed you boys were dating each other."

"Oh," I reply with my mouth opening in a small 'O' shape from surprise at their observation of Grayson and me. "Uh, I don't know if he's ever noticed this, but I know I surely haven't noticed this. Um, I guess I can talk to Grayson about this tomorrow when Kyrie and I have dinner with him."

"Speaking of you boys having dinner together tomorrow night," mama starts, and by the amused smile on his lips, I'm a little nervous about what she's gonna say next. "If you and Grayson would like a night without Kyrie, I'd be willing to keep him for a few hours one night while Grayson's here in town."

"Really?" I ask in surprise with raised eyebrows at her offer because they way I look at life is that Kyrie is my responsibility all the time. "Mama, I appreciate your offer, but Kyrie is my responsibility, therefore, I don't have a problem with having him with me all the time."

Mama and Marcus nod in response of my answer with mama saying; "I understand what you're saying, Kai, but it's okay once in a while to have some free time without him, too. This is up to you though, and whatever you want is fine with me, okay?"

Nodding as I think over her offer for a moment before replying; "Can I talk with Grayson about this tomorrow night, and give you an answer when Kyrie and I are home after dinner?"

Mama nods with a warm smile as she agrees that letting me know then is fine. Letting out a small breath of air in relief that the conversation went better than I feared it would. My body relaxes a lot, and when I look down at Kyrie, I find him awake, and looking up at me with his unfocused eyes. Smiling down at my baby, I lean my head down to give him a light kiss on the forehead.

Hours later, I'm lying in bed with Kyrie sound asleep in his bassinet, that's situated right next to my side of the bed. I'm exhausted, and ready for sleep, but I know I'll be awake in a couple of hours to change and feed Kyrie which is worth the lack of sleep. Falling asleep almost instantly once I've closed my eyes, and settled in a comfortable position.

Jerking awake when Kyrie's piercing cries wake me, I softly groan as I throw the covers off me while sitting up with my legs over the edge of the bed. Taking him out of the bassinet, I carry him to the changing table, where I quickly change him out of his wet nappy, and into a clean one before slipping his jammies back on him. Carrying him out to the kitchen, I take a premade bottle from the fridge, place it in the bottle warmer on the counter next to the coffee machine, and sway him while his three ounce bottle warms.

Yawning into my left shoulder, the bottle warmer beeps, and I move to take the bottle out, and after checking to make sure the temperature is correct on my wrist, I tap his lower lip, and he instantly starts sucking on the nipple. Slowly making our way back to the bedroom, I sit on the bed with my back propped against the pillows as Kyrie continues to drink.

When he finishes the bottle, I place this on my nightstand, and place Kyrie on my right shoulder, so I can burp him. Once he's burped, and I know he's asleep again, I give him a soft kiss on the forehead as I move to carefully place him back in the bassinet. When I'm sure he's still sound asleep, I lie back down on my left side, covering myself, and fall back asleep watching Kyrie sleep.

After this feeding, Kyrie woke me every hour and a half to be changed and fed, and by seven in the morning, I'm beyond exhausted. After changing Kyrie's diaper, and having placed his jammies back on him, I tiredly walk us into the kitchen, grab a bottle from the fridge, placing this into the warmer, and grab a coffee mug from the rack, and pour myself a mug of coffee. Going back to the fridge, I grab the coffee cream from the bottom shelf of the door, and pour some into the mug, and place the creamer back from where I had taken the bottle. Leaning against the counter, I take a careful sip, and groan in happiness, and not even caring that mama and Marcus are looking at me in surprise because I hardly ever drink coffee.