Princess Who?

"Ma, why is the palace being decorated so much today?", the daughter of a maid asked her mother.

The mother pinched her child's cheek and replied,

"Rajkumari Medhasvini is coming back to Dwaraka. All this is happening for her."

"Really?! Have you ever met her? I did hear about her name, my friends were saying she is the most beautiful girl in all of Aryavart. Do you think I will get to meet her?", the girl rambled as curiosity got the better of her.

Her mother chuckled at her excitement as she picked her up and put her on her lap. A wistful look took over her face as she went down the memory lane.

"Yes I have met her. Now she must have grown into a beautiful young lady. I too have heard that her beauty cannot be matched. But what I do remember is the little girl who used to call me Kakima. I personally tended to her but she never made me feel like a maid. She treated me with the respect one would give their mother. So mature for her age, but still a child at heart. I still remember her last words...'Kakima, when I come back you have to keep your dal roti ready for me'...." she trailed off as her expression turned serious.

The child stood up and looked at her mother, puzzled.

"What happened, Ma?"

"The dal roti...I forgot the dal roti at home..", she slapped her forehead with the palm of her hand.

That's when the voice of Maharani Rohini reached her ears. She straightened up at once.

"Sudha, everything is ready right? I want everything to be perfect. My daughter is finally coming back after 10 years....everything must be to her satisfaction", Mata Rohini's love for Medha was evident in the worry in her voice.

"Everything is done Maharani. If I could get the permission to go home once, I had made something for Rajkumari...", Sudha humbly hung her hand, a little scared at what the reply was going to be.

But seeing Mata Rohini smile softly made all her doubts disappear. 

"You may"

Just as these words were pronounced, Sudha took her daughter and off she went, back home, beaming brightly.

Mata Rohini watched her leave as Ma Devaki approached her and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Our gudiya really has everyone wrapped around her finger.", she said as she wiped a lone tear off her cheek

"I think they will spend the entire day only thinking about their daughter and my poor Kridha will have to freeze to death outside with no one to welcome her back.", the dramatic sigh of Maharaja Vasudev was heard followed by the booming laughter of Krishna and Balram Dau.

Both mothers turned around and glared they their kids as they exclaimed together,

"Just you wait!"

But they knew, waiting would be injurious for health, so they did what any sane person would do at that point of time. They ran.

"Where is she?", Subhadra voiced out everyone's question, as they looked over the horizon, hoping to get a glimpse of a moving object.

"Where is who?", a voice was heard from behind.

"Rajkumari Medhasvini of course!", Dau grumbled, not wanting to deal with stupid questions.

"Oh..you mean the stuck up Yadava princess?", the same voice replied.

"How dare yo-", Ma Devaki turned around to see who was saying such things, but what she saw rendered her speechless.