Stranger Danger

"Jiji, can we rest for a while. A prahar has passed by, we didn't stop for a moment.", complained Subhadra from inside her palki.

"Megh has become tired too. We are going to rest for some time and then resume our journey.", Medhasvini announced. Getting down from her horse, she took his reigns and went out to look for a water body he could have a drink in. 

"Rajkumari! Wait!", a maid called out.

"Yes?"

"You should take a servant with you. It is not safe for you to go in the forest by yourself."

Medha chuckled,

"I will be fine, I always carry my dagger with me. And I will not have to go too deep inside inside the forest either. I will be back in the blink of an eye."

The maid let her go reluctantly, muttering a quick prayer for her safety.

Medhasvini took her time walking through the greenery, admiring the beauty and simplicity of the wild while also being alert.

"Living life amidst the woods would be so nice...it is so calm here. No hustle and bustle of the city. No certain way to act. No responsibilities of the royal life. Just peace. Doesn't that sound tempting, Megh?", she looked at him as he neighed with agreement and nuzzled his nose into her hands.

"Here you go, have some water. We have quite a bit of a road left, we need you all energized for that", leaving him near the edge of a pond. Not noticing the puddle in front of her, she stepped on it on her way to the shade of a tree.

Slipping on the muddy water, she shut her eyes tight, bracing herself for the impact.

It came....and it came hard.

"AH!", Medha shrieked in pain.

"Are you ok, Devi?", she heard a soothing calm voice as a man came and stood in front of her. But he had his face covered so Medha could not see who he was.

Giving him her best sarcastically painful smile, she replied,

"Oh I am fine. Absolutely peachy. I am sitting on a pool of mud for fun, building mud castles."

Ignoring her words, the man bent down to examine her ankle.

"You have sprained your foot.", he declared.

"No kidding.", she mumbled.

"Did you say something?"

"No, nothing."

They looked at each other as an awkward silence ensued. Kridha noticed how brown his eyes were....quite like the mud she was sitting on...

"We should get you out of this puddle and under the shade of the tree.", the man suggested, breaking the silence.