Chapter 17: The First

Emiel would leave before I woke, and returned later and later. He insisted on cooking, and the food was so good, that I didn't mind the wait. He made braised duck one night, and lobster tails another night. I even got kimchi stew. Since he seemed to openly ignore my presence most nights, I sat up at the counter and watched him cook these elaborate meals.

He took care when he was cooking, kept everything extremely sanitary as though his kitchen was a 5-star restaurant. His fingers handled the ingredients with delicacy. The focus in his eyes wowed me beyond words. I knew that Emiel was a biology major, pre-med. He cooked as though he was doing surgery. And the most important part was that he shared this food with me.

Though I was annoyed by this sudden silent treatment, I didn't have much room to complain. Emiel was still nice to me, just standoffish. I kept my conversation to myself, only talking to Henri occasionally. Classes started back next week, though that didn't stop some professors from sending out more homework and reading materials over the fire break. 

Motion Picture Review Club had its standard movie night that Friday. I was so relieved to attend. Finally caught up with my homework and studying, the weekend presented endless opportunities for relaxation and fun.  Emiel came home early that night, right before I headed out myself.

"Where are you going?" he asked. 

"Movie club," I said, pulling on my hat and scarf.

He looked at my clothes as though considering if I were telling the truth or not. "I'm making tikka marsala tonight."

I perked up, then deflated. "We're watching The Irishman, so I'll be back late. I'll just eat with Malai tonight. But you can save me some and I'll have it for lunch tomorrow."

My phone buzzed.

Malai: I brought the beanbag chairs.

I smiled at my phone.

"Henri?" Emiel asked, barely audible.

I gave him a puzzled look. "What? No, it's Malai." His face was unreadable, but overall unpleasant. "Wait, are you jealous of Henri?"

"Jealousy implies desire. And you're as desirable as sewer water."

I reeled back. "Fuck you Emiel." I tried to storm off but he grabbed my arm and snatched me back. I shoved him again but this time he barely moved. His muscles were tense. Pain throbbed in my arm from his grip. Though his entire body was rigid and burning up, his expression was placid, bored. Was he always this strong?

"I'm sorry," he said softly, looking down at me. Though he was barely an inch or two taller than me, I hated it at this moment. I felt small. "I guess I got used to having you here. It's been... nice."

My heart skipped. 

"Are you trying to get me to stay?" I asked. He looked as though he would kiss me at any moment. And I would have let him. Maybe I weren't such a coward, I would have kissed him instead. But I held my ground.

Emiel released me. "I am recommending that you stay, yes."

I rubbed my arm. "No thanks." With that, I left. I had a movie to watch.