| The Story and the Kiss |

The walk to the bakery is short and warm, and when they enter, it smells wonderful — bread and chocolate and sugar and tea. Sherlock orders a chocolate croissant, as Lily had never made those and he wouldn't think it was bad in comparison. Lily gets a scone and some tea, and they sit at small table by the window.

"This is a nice little place," Sherlock comments. "I'm sure your bakery will be nicer, though."

Lily nearly spits out her tea. "My bakery?"

"That's your goal, isn't it? To open a bakery."

"Well... yes."

"It's a bit too plain in here," he goes on. "Your bakery will be colorful."

Her bakery. Yes, she still wants to open one. But that can wait... can't it? She's got the book and then there's Robert situation and she's already got a job for the fall. Would she even have the money, if she could find a location?

"Yes," she says. "But this is nice."

When they finish eating, they decide to head back to Baker Street. It's a quiet walk, but it's a nice quiet. Sherlock's hand keeps brushing hers, so she takes it, and they walk all the way home like that. By the time they see the front door, Lily looks at Speedy's and realizes she's still hungry. All that walking and only a scone for lunch.

"Are you still hungry?" Lily asks.

"Not really. But I rarely eat much on cases. Are you?"

"A little."

"Then we'll go get a sandwich." He practically pulls her into Speedy's, which is a bit busy at this time, but everyone's laughing and having a good time, employees included. Speedy is behind the counter.

"Hello, Lily," he says. "Oh, and my famous neighbor Sherlock Holmes. What can I get you?"

Lily orders her sandwich while Sherlock declines, saying he isn't hungry. Speedy calls the order back, then starts restocking the dessert case.

"You know, Lily, we won't be neighbors much longer."

She almost gasps. "What? Why?"

"I'm retiring." He laughs. "My daughter is about to have a baby, and they live in Bath, and I've got the money to retire. I'm gonna sell the place."

"To who?"

He shrugs. "Don't know yet. Haven't had many offers. Of course, I haven't told many people yet."

"Well, I'm sad to see you go, but I'm happy you'll be spending time with family."

"That's an important thing, spending time with family. I've got another month or so in here, as long as I get a buyer." Her order is finished, so he passes it across the counter. "Here you are. On the house."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely. Enjoy."

"Thank you."

They leave and walk into 221, then stand at the bottom of the stairs. Neither of them speak for a few moments. Finally, Sherlock says, "I suppose you'll want to go... eat your lunch now."

"Yeah," she replies, then remembering she ought to say something else instead of just standing there disappointed that the date is already over. "I had a really nice time."

"Me, too."

"We should... do it again."

"How about tomorrow?" He says as if he couldn't hold it back, like he didn't even think before he asked her. Like that's what he really wants and he wants it so much he couldn't give himself time to phrase it differently or just not say it altogether.