| The Scones and the Confession |

He makes sure he's ready by seven thirty that morning, thinking mostly of the case — of talking to Arthur that day. But John just had to invite Lily to breakfast, right in the middle of a case, and she isn't even bringing anything herself. Instead, John is making eggs and sausage, and he's tasked Sherlock with making the toast and the tea.

"Do I have to eat any of this?" Sherlock asks, groaning.

John rolls his eyes. "You should, but I guess not."

When the breakfast is finished, they move the armchairs in the sitting room and put out the table and chairs, then John sets the table while Sherlock starts playing with Rosie to get out of it. Rosie doesn't seem to be fazed by waking up so early, though she's impatient to eat breakfast.

Lily arrives at eight on the dot, and Sherlock answers the door. He's delighted to find that she's made sweet scones and brought some strawberry jam to go with them. "Good morning," she says, smiling far too brightly for so early in the morning, but it doesn't surprise Sherlock.

"Good morning," he says, stepping aside to let her in. Rosie is already standing behind him, running to Lily as soon as she can get past Sherlock. Lily laughs, but can't hug Rosie, as her hands are full.

She sees the table in the middle of the room and turns to Sherlock as he closes the door. "Where do you want me to put these?"

Sherlock shrugs, then gestures to the table. "There, I'd assume. John's the one doing most of this."

John is in the kitchen, and he turns then and sees what Lily's brought (Rosie is trying to see it, too, holding onto the tabletop to get a look). "Did you make those?"

Lily shrugs a bit sheepishly. "The scones, yes. The jam is store-bought. My strawberries in the garden won't grow for at least another year..."

John, carrying the eggs into the room, sighs. "I told you not to bring anything."

"I didn't want to come empty handed," Lily replies. "Besides, I haven't made sweet scones in a while. I wanted to."

"I suppose we'll just have to eat them, John," Sherlock says, acting as if it's such a difficult task to be faced with. Lily laughs, and Sherlock smiles.

John sets everything out on the table, but Sherlock takes care of the tea, then puts the cream and sugar on the table. He pushes the sugar towards Lily.

"Use as much as you'd like," he says, with a small laugh.

Lily chuckles, too. "Thank you. But I'll try not to use all of it."

They laugh and talk about mundane things through the beginning of breakfast. Lily, after putting jam on Rosie's scone for her (Rosie insisted on sitting near Lily), mentions that her parents and brother want to come visit, and her friends are talking about it, too.

"I'll be sure that they keep it down while they're here, though," she says, looking pointedly at Sherlock as she does so. He's surprised to find himself blushing lightly and looks down at his half-eaten food, despite knowing she isn't being accusatory and she's not angry about it. Sherlock isn't sure if the woman has an angry bone in her body.

"As far as I'm concerned, you could have a party if you'd like," John replies.

Lily laughs. "I think I'd have to ask Mrs. Hudson first. And, anyway, I don't think I'd consider myself a party sort of girl."

Sherlock immediately recalls a fairy story he reads to Rosie every so often. "I thought fairies had lots of parties."

Lily smiles sweetly, the corner of her mouth amused. She goes to reply, but Rosie beats her to it. "They do! They have parties in forests with dancing and music and fairy food."