| The Loyalty and the Questioning |

Sherlock is thinking, even as he listens. John, farthest away from him, also listens, but Sherlock doesn't think of him. Neither is Lily, the woman dressed like a fairy — his first, striking thought upon seeing her attire earlier — invading his thoughts. His mind is working, turning, on the case at hand. It seems straightforward to most, especially in terms of who the perpetrator is. But Sherlock isn't so sure. Something about this doesn't make sense...

"I shouted," Mr. Holder is saying, "and Arthur dropped it, and I ran to get it." He breathes in, a bit shakily. "The back corner is missing, and three beryls with it. I asked him what he did with it, but he insists he didn't take it. He pretended he wasn't even aware there were any pieces missing. I told him to tell me where it was, but he said he wouldn't say a word, not even when I told him I was calling the police.

"We'd been shouting at each other, and it woke up Adeline and Hayley, and they ran in the room. Both of them were horrified — Hayley more so, I believe. She and Arthur are close, from what I understand.

"He's been arrested since. He's in holding of some sort now, until we've figured this all out. Multiple people have asked him where the broken piece is, but he won't say."

"He maintains his innocence?" John asks, bringing himself back to Sherlock's mind.

"Yes. He says he didn't do anything to the coronet, but he won't explain why he was holding it, much less trying to break it again, if he didn't take it." Sherlock absently nods at this, in thought. It's singular that he isn't providing an alternate narrative of the event, but that's certainly what a guilty person would do, to put the blame away from themselves. Why would he be silent? "You'll find the missing piece, won't you, Mr. Holmes?" Mr. Holder asks, taking Sherlock out of his thoughts.

Sherlock starts. "Yes, yes, I'll do my best. To start with, I'd like to speak with your daughter and her friend."

Mr. Holder seems surprised. "Whatever for?"

"Just to get the whole picture, see if there's any details that could assist me in my search." They may have seen or heard something, or they may know a detail that they've thought nothing of but which could help Sherlock immensely.

"They're both home now, but Adeline has to leave for one of her university classes soon, I believe," Mr. Holder replies.

"Then I will speak with her first."

Both girls come downstairs a few minutes after Mr. Holder calls them down, and Sherlock brings in Adeline first. She's the sister, she might know something. She seems a bit impatient and upset, but it's understandable all things considered.

"I need you to tell me everything you saw and heard the day the coronet was broken," Sherlock tells her. She frowns, but does as asked.

"Well, I had class that morning, and I came home for dinner. Arthur was home instead of out gambling or partying or whatever else he does on a daily basis. We didn't say much, since I had homework, and I did that and scrolled through Instagram until Hayley got home from work, then we watched a movie. We were in the middle of it when Dad got home, and it was time for dinner soon after, so we went down.

"Dad mentioned bringing home the coronet, and Arthur asked where it was, said he hoped we didn't get robbed that night. I had the same thought, too, but I never said anything. Arthur mentioned being able to get into the safe where Dad put it easily, but he says things all the time, so I didn't pay attention to it.