Chapter Eight ~

The first day of junior year arrived with a sense of anticipation and dread. The gang had spent the summer in their own little world, but now they were back to reality. The school was buzzing with students, all eager to share their summer stories and catch up with friends.

Pacey and Joey arrived together, their friendship stronger than ever. They had spent the summer growing closer, their bond deepening with each shared laugh and secret. They were inseparable, their connection evident to anyone who saw them.

Once they got out of the Witter Wagoneer, they walked up the steps to where Jack and Jen waited.

"Welcome back to prison, kiddies," Pacey joked.

Jack rolled his eyes, but Jen smiled. "Well look on the bright side, Pace. You won't have to deal with evil teachers like Mr. Peterson," she said, trying to lighten the mood.

Pacey chuckled, "Yeah, I guess that's one way to look at it."

As they walked into the school, they were met with the familiar sights and sounds of Capeside High. The lockers clanging shut, the chatter of students, the smell of old textbooks and cafeteria food. It was all so familiar, yet it felt different.

They were different.

The first day of school was a whirlwind of classes, catching up with friends, and avoiding Dawson and Andie. Pacey and Joey stuck together, their bond evident in the way they navigated the hallways and classrooms.

During lunch, they sat with Jen and Jack, their usual spot in the cafeteria. They talked about their classes, their teachers, and the latest gossip. But there was an unspoken tension, a lingering question that hung in the air.

What would happen when they saw Dawson and Andie?

Dawson and Andie didn't show up for lunch that day. Instead, they ate somewhere else, hidden away from the rest of the school. Word got around that they were avoiding the group, but Pacey and Joey didn't give them a second thought.

They were too busy focusing on strengthening their own friendship, on enjoying this new found bond that felt stronger and more genuine than any other bond they had ever had.

The day passed by in a blur. Pacey and Joey walked together, talked together, and even studied together. Every once in a while, they would catch sight of Dawson and Andie in the corridors but they'd just look away, their hearts aching with betrayal but too proud to show it.

It was the end of the day when Pacey and Joey finally saw them properly. Dawson and Andie were standing by the lockers, whispering sweet nothings, blissfully ignorant of the hurt they had caused. A pang of pain shot through Pacey's heart as he looked at his ex-girlfriend and his ex-best friend. The sight was enough to make anyone's heart ache.

Joey noticed the retreating figure of Pacey and immediately followed him.

"Pacey, wait..." She called after him. He shrugged off her touch, got in his car, and she just got in the passenger seat. "Pacey, could you just tell me how you're feeling when it comes to them? You've been avoiding it ever since you found out about them. Not that I blame you at all, but I want to help you if I can."

Pacey bit his lip, a sign that he was struggling with his emotions. "I'm... I'm not sure, Jo," he admitted after a while. "I guess... I guess I feel betrayed." He paused, letting that word hang in the air. Betrayed. Yes, that was the perfect word for how he felt. Betrayed by Dawson, his best friend since childhood. Betrayed by Andie, a girl he had once fallen for and let in his heart. Suddenly, he started crying. "I'm hurt, Jo. I hate them
for this," he said, his voice choked with suppressed emotion. "And you know what's worse?" He continued, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "They didn't even think I was worth an explanation. They just... moved on, like I was nothing. All because of a stupid fight me and Andie had."

Joey's heart ached as she reached for his hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "You're not nothing, Pacey. You're everything. They were stupid to throw that away," she said earnestly. "You deserve so much better. Dawson and Andie... they made a mistake. A big one. But you... you're Pacey. You're the kindest, hottest, most resilient person I know. Not only that, but you are also my best friend in the entire world," she continued, her words filled with a mix of compassion and conviction.

Pacey lifted his tear-streaked face, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "And you, Joey Potter, are my rock. I don't know what I'd do without you." He sucked in a shaky breath, wiping the remnants of his tears with the back of his hand. "Thank you for saying that, Jo. I... I needed to hear it."

Joey gave his hand another reassuring squeeze, her heart swelling at the sight of her best friend seeking her support. She knew this situation was anything but easy for him. Seeing Dawson and Andie together after being so close to them all these years, it was bound to hurt. She herself felt a stab of pain whenever she thought about it, but she had to be strong. She had to be Pacey's pillar as he was for her countless times.

That night, after dropping Joey home, Pacey sat in his room, staring at the twinkling stars out of his window. He found a strange sense of calm within himself, the kind of calm which you feel after a terrible storm. Yes, he was hurt, he was betrayed and he felt like he had lost his two closest friends. But he also had Joey. Joey, who stood by him no matter what, who understood him like no one else did, who was more than just a friend to him.

As he sat there and considered things carefully, he realized something very important. Maybe Dawson and Andie weren't the ones he lost in this situation. Maybe they were the ones who lost him. And if they couldn't see his worth...well, that was their loss.

So he decided, right there as he sat alone with his thoughts, he would move on. Move on from this betrayal and come out stronger. Just as Joey had said, he was Pacey. He was strong and resilient. He had faced numerous battles in the past, and he would face this one too, head-on and with courage.

And with Joey by his side, he knew he had nothing to fear.

For the first time, in a long time, Pacey found himself looking forward to the new school year. Yes, it would be hard, but he would make it through. After all, they were different now. Stronger, wiser and despite everything, happier.

Difference was a good thing. And he was ready to embrace this new reality of theirs.