Chapter Nine ~

Days turned into weeks, and one day, Pacey stood in front of the mirror, adjusting his plaid shirt. His reflection caught his attention and he stared at himself. Gone was the lost boy who felt betrayed, replaced with a confident young man, who despite the pain and the scars, was ready to begin this new reality. Ready to face a school year without Dawson and Andie, but with Joey on his side, Pacey felt a renewed sense of hope and strength.

He found himself smiling at his own reflection, a genuine smile that reflected a brighter tomorrow. This was an element of change, of new beginnings.

As he took a deep breath, he threw a glance at a picture on his side table, showing him and Joey in their happier times. Unshed tears glazed his eyes, but this time they were not of pain or betrayal, but of gratitude. How lucky he was to have Joey in his life. He picked up the frame, looking at Joey's face caught in laughter. She's been his anchor, his rock and his best friend through and through.

Then something struck him. He looked at Joey's picture again, a feeling bubbling up within him. He didn't just see Joey as his friend anymore. Realization dawned on him like never before. His heart pounded in his chest when he came to terms with what he was feeling. Pacey was in love with Joey.

How had he not seen it before? Her kind heart, her unconditional support, her always being there for him - all these and many more reasons explained why he was always drawn towards her. She was important to him, now more than ever. And now he knew why.

His heart leapt at the revelation and newfound emotions, yet a pang of fear lurked in his mind. Would she feel the same? Would she be with him like he wanted to be with her? He knew Joey was fierce when it came to protecting her friends, but how would she react when he told her about the romantic love he felt for her?

Driving the Witter Wagoneer to Joey's house, Pacey could feel his heart racing in his chest. How should he tell her? What should he say? These questions plagued his mind until he pulled up in front of the Potter B&B. There she stood on her porch, looking more beautiful and radiant now than ever before. Her messy, dark hair cascading down her shoulders, her beautiful, doe-like eyes meeting his from across the distance, and a warm, welcoming smile on her rosy lips. Suddenly, all his doubts and fears seemed to dissolve into the ether, replaced with this immense feeling of love and admiration for this wonderful woman standing before him.

'God, she's so beautiful' was what Pacey thought to himself, as she climbed in the car. But what lay ahead? His mind raced in anticipation.

Joey was also feeling the same wave of emotions, as a reciprocation to Pacey's own feelings. However, she concealed them within herself, choosing to remain stoic and non-expressive about her own growing love for Pacey. Her smile hid the turmoil inside her, the desire to confess, the fear that it would alter their friendship, and the hope that he reciprocated her feelings.

She got into the car, her heart pounding against her chest, and shooting a quick sidelong glance at Pacey, she noted the soft smile playing on his lips. Butterflies swarmed in her stomach, a feeling she couldn't quite explain.

"Hey," she greeted.

His eyes met hers and she noticed a different intensity in them that made her skin tingle with anticipation. "Hey Joey," he returned. There was a deep tenderness in his voice that was undeniable.

She wrung her hands together, a nervous habit she picked up when she was younger. Was she picking up signals or were her feelings for him just playing tricks on her?

As Pacey fumbled with the steering wheel, he shook his head slightly to clear his racing thoughts. He glanced at Joey, trying to pick up the same signals she was displaying. Her knitted brows, the way she wringed her hand. Was she worried? About what? Behind her daydreaming gaze, was there something deeper brewing? Or was he just seeing what he wanted to see?

When she looked at him, her heart raced. His deep, intense gaze was something she was unfamiliar with; it stirred something within her. Joey found herself lost in that gaze, the pace of her heart accelerating. Her gaze shifted to his lips, his incredibly kissable lips. Her heart pounded as she glanced back up at his eyes, finding them fixed on her. The moment was electrifying and something that both of them had never experienced.

As Joey drank in those two deep blue orbs, she couldn't help but feel an unfamiliar yet utterly compelling connection. There were emotions etched in those eyes that were raw and full of depth. It was as if he was trying to convey something to her, something that made her breathless. She had always been fond of Pacey, her heart fluttering whenever he was near, but wasn't prepared for this newfound connection that she was unable to comprehend.

Looking at Pacey, she could see he was following her gaze, his eyes darting between her own eyes and her lips. A part of her was scared to address what was happening between them. She was scared of how it might change the dual dynamics of their relationship- their friendship and this blossoming but unspoken more-than-friends bond.

She knew Pacey was the kind of person who expressed his feelings directly, without any pretense. Her hand made its way to his, resting gently on it. Her eyes met his, a silent message passed between them: Is this okay? He looked at their interlocked fingers and back at her eyes, a slow smile pulling his lips.

Pacey gave her a reassuring squeeze, his heart pounding loudly in his chest. Suddenly, his fear didn't matter, nor the way things might change. All that mattered was the warmth seeping from Joey's hand into his, the depth in her eyes revealing feelings she didn't dare voice.

As they sat there, lost in their silence and each other's proximity, their hearts were having a conversation of their own, a silent agreement that both wished for a more professed connection. The secret bond, blooming within their hearts, was as undeniable as it was frightening. Joey was reassured at the soft smile that played on Pacey's lips. He was okay with this, wasn't he?

Joey felt Pacey's hand turn under hers. He interlaced their fingers and briefly squeezed her hand before returning them to the steering wheel. The moment was brief but powerful. It was comforting yet made her heart race. It was everything she realized she wanted and yet everything she feared.

As they drove to school, the intense conversation mirrored in their silence, Joey looked towards Pacey. A look of certainty set on his face, his hand firm yet gentle around hers. His eyes caught the rearview mirror, glancing at her. A gentle blush crept onto her face, as she mumbled, "What?"

With a gentle smile playing on his lips, he shook his head, "Nothing, Joey. Nothing."

Joey blushed under his gaze, unsure of what the future held for them. But if the stolen glances and tight handhold were any indicators, she was sure it was going to be something special. The butterflies in her stomach made Joey realize that she too was in love with Pacey; her own feelings reflecting back at her as clearly as the day.

Yet neither of them dared to say aloud the feelings that their hearts silently whispered into their ears. The fear of losing a friendship, which was the crux of their relationship, overpowered the desire to confess their love. But with every silent gaze and intertwined fingers, they were edging closer to an inevitable confession. For Pacey and Joey, life was changing; they were changing. And it was a change both were ready to embrace, sooner than they thought.