Chapter Eleven ~

The next day, life went on as nonchalantly as it always had for Pacey and Joey. As they walked through the corridors of Capeside High, their friends watched on silently. Was there a change that they had missed? From the way Pacey would laugh at Joey's sarcastic remarks or the way Joey's eyes would soften when Pacey would do something out of the blue just to cheer her up, their bond was evident.

What their friends didn't know, however, was what had changed within the duo. The silent questions running through their minds, every moment they spent together a catalyst to those thoughts growing stronger. They both knew they were treading on dangerous territory, potentially risking years of friendship, yet they felt drawn to the unexplored, their curiosity piqued.

In their history class that day, Joey and Jen found themselves seated next to each other, engaging in small talk and half-hearted attempts at focusing on their studies. Bored, Jen decided to spice things up. She carefully folded a note and passed it to Joey.
"You think Pacey likes you?" the note read. Joey's eyes widened slightly at the short, direct question, but recovered quickly, scribbling back her response.
"Just friends, Jen. F-R-I-E-N-D-S," she wrote, folding the note and passing it back to Jen.

"Doubtful. I have eyes, Joey." When she went to hand it back to Joey, it was intercepted by their history teacher, Mr. Crawford.

"Passing notes during my class, ladies? See me after class - you both just earned yourselves a detention," He said sternly, placing the note in his desk drawer. His declaration was met with a chorus of murmurs from the other students, and Joey and Jen exchanged glances, raising their hands in surrender.

Elsewhere, Pacey and Matt Caulfield found themselves performing their gym task with loathe. A foul ball hit in Matt's direction landed him an opportunity to seize a dig at Pacey. "Oh, Pacey, if only you catch balls as well as you catch Joey's attention," Matt taunted.

"What did you just say to me, Caulfield?" Pacey seethed.
"No, I believe you heard me just fine, Witter," Matt responded, a smirk on his face. Pacey's knuckles balled into fists, his blood practically boiling. Without a second thought, Pacey went for the bait, lunging at Matt and causing them to both crash onto the gym floor. He swung a punch at Matt, connecting with his jaw. Matt retaliated, throwing a punch back at Pacey but he was quick to block it. The students around them cheered and jeered, attracting the attention of the gym teacher, Coach Robinson. He sighed heavily, pulling the two boys apart.

"Hey! Hey, hey! Break it up! I said break it up! Saturday Detention! Both of you!" he shouted.

"That's not fair, Coach. He came after me," Matt tried to defend himself.

"Both of you to my office! Now!" Coach Robinson yelled, pointing toward his office. Both boys grumbled something at one another as they trudged off, ignoring the cheers and heckling from their classmates.

Meanwhile, Jack was scrambling across the school premises to reach his math class. He'd barely caught his breath when he stumbled in, apologizing profusely to the teacher.

"McPhee, lateness is unacceptable. No matter how valid your excuse. Consider this your warning," his math teacher, Mr Holden, said sternly. Despite the fairness of that, Jack couldn't help feeling frustrated. The distance from the gym to the end of the school was a marathon. As his teacher droned on about the importance of punctuality, he lamented his luck.

And thus, the following Saturday found them all in the library, each relegated to their own section; a fragile peace kept in check under the watchful eye of Ms.
Tringle, the stern librarian.

The first hour passed by painstakingly slowly, the incessant ticking of the library clock reminding them of their sentence. It wasn't until the second hour that Jen decided to break the silence.
"Truth or Dare, anyone?" she suggested, an impish charm in her tone, and almost immediately, she was met with engaged nods; anything was better than wallowing in their boredom.