Chapter 5

Saturn's Orbit - (The final battle of the great planetary war)

2994

A legion star fighter zoomed in, avoiding a large batter scene of destroyers, battleships and cruisers from the Legion and Union fleets. Proton canon fire and lasers boomed from all directions, smoke filled space from destroyed ships sinking down into the darkness of space. Suddenly a huge legion star dreadnought dropped out of hyperspace behind the battle. It was the ULPS Victory, the legions flag ship and ship of admiral Van-Conbear, the Navy's most famous admiral. "Commander Martin" said Van-Conbear "Hail me captain Conway on the Oasis", "yes sir" replied commander Martin.

The ULPS Oasis was in the heat of the battle. It's proton cannons rained hell fire on the Martian ships. The gun decks of the ship were full of activity, the gunners were covered in sweat with the heat of the cannons. "Come on boys, put your backs into it" screamed sergeant Bright, "give these union scum hell". The cannons continued to roar, lasers blasted from their nuzzles,  then with a blast of light and a sound of roaring thunder, the ship was hit by a missile from a union ship. Sparks sprung from exposed wires and fire raged from the blast sight. The ship gowned and moaned under the stress of the blast, screams came from the wounded gunners. "Quick boys" coughed Bright "if your can stand, get back to your stations".

The blast could be felt up in the bridge, Captain Philip Conway was giving orders to his crew while picking himself up off the floor. "Which ship hit us Lieutenant Fig" he boomed, "I think it was the Red Moon captain" answered Fig as he tried to catch his breath after the blast. "That's belongs to that red planet bastard general Zang" said Conway angerly. At that moment a hail came through from the Victory, "status report captain Conway" asked admiral Van-Conbear. "We have been hit sir by the Red Moon" answered Conway, "the battle has been long and hard but I think we have them on the run sir, their attacks have been crazy and unplanned". "Very good captain, lets push on and get these union bastards to surrender, then the war will be over" said the admiral. The hail ended and the screen disappeared. Conway could see a small transport ship leaving the Red Moon and heading for the rings. "That red bastard" laughed Conway, "he is escaping and heading, for the planets surface, send a fighter to follow it and shadow it". "Yes sir" replied Fig, "and make sure they report straight back to me first lieutenant" said Conway. 

A star fighter raced out of the hanger bay of the Oasis and zoomed towards the transport ship. Its bright blue flames from its engines glowed bright in the darkness of space. It entered the asteroid belt that that made up the ring. It rolled left and right to dodge the asteroids. Suddenly, the transport ship came into view, the fighter swooped down behind it, making sure to stay out of range of the radar and scanners. The pilot scanned the ship for signs of life and weapons. "Three life signs captain, no weapons" said the pilot, "no pilot though sir, its on auto-pilot". "What are they hiding" said Conway, "is any of them Zang". "No sir, no life signs match that of Zang" replied the pilot. "Bring that ship out there commander, disable its auto-pilot and drag it out here using your tractor bream" said Conway, "yes sir" replied the pilot. The fighter zoomed up and heading towards the nose of the ship, it got in front of it and hacked into its nerve computer and disabled the auto-pilot. The transport ship jittered and shook as the auto-pilot stopped and the ship started to dive, the fighter started swooped in from and started its tractor beam. It started to pull the ship out of the asteroid belt and out into open space.

The fighter pulled the transport ship out into direct line of fire of the Oasis. "Aim the proton cannons Lieutenant" said Conway, "yes sir" replied Fig. The proton cannons turned and clinked into place, the fighter disconnected the beam and blasted back towards the Oasis. The transport ship was sitting alone in the darkness of space in the middle of the battlefield, right between the Oasis and the Red Moon. "Fire the cannons Mr. Fig" boomed Conway "yes sir" replied Fig. The cannons started to glow to life and the laser begun to fire. Boom, the cannons fired and lasers fired towards the transport. The darkness was then filled with glorious light as if the heavens had opened, a huge fire ball erupted from there the transport was. What ever life was on board was now no more.

General Zang jumped up from his sleep, he was back in his quarters on his way to Earth. Sweat ran down his grey skin, his four eye's blinked as he woke, he arose and sat on the edge of his bed. As he got up and walked towards the window, the thoughts of the dreams came flooding back to him. As he looked out of the window into the dark cold emptiness of space, a reflection looked back in at him, it was his wife and kids. He looked at the reflection, tears and sadness filled him. Then a fire ball took them away from him and his face returned in the reflection. He punched the wall as it was his family that was on the transport ship that was destroyed by Conway. Zang wanted his revenge against the legion and Conway. He vowed he would take from him what he took from him. His child, Zoe Conway.