Ch3 - The adoration of New Thitipoom

New hid behind the curtains. Tay opened the door nervously only to find his friend, Off Jumpol. Little relieved, "Off, what are you doing here?"

"Where are your manners Tay? Did you sell those too, to your clients? At least invite me in first," Off said barging in his condo. Tay rolled his eyes and let him in, eyes nervously glaring at the curtain. New controlled his laughter, still hidden behind the curtains.

"Why do I smell a rebound in here? Has your broken heart finally found someone?" Off sensed the unwelcoming atmosphere.

"Shut up Jumpol. Tell me what do you want or just leave."

"Why are you panting?"

"I was exercising."

"Since when did a self-destructive moron such as you started doing self-care?"

"Jumpol, I am not in a mood of your lecture. I am really tired."

"Fine. Fine. I was getting bored. I want to get drunk or watch a movie. I have invited everyone here. They must be coming soon."

"What? You did not even ask me Jumpol," Tay's heart was already in his throat.

His sick irritating peng smiled teasingly, "I am kidding. Now that you are home. I am texting them to come over." Jumpol already started typing in his phone, "What shall I call them for, beer or movie?"

Tay deliberated for a second, he has a stupid mother fucker hidden behind the curtains, what should he say, "Why not both? Let's watch something and also get drunk. I will get some beer bottles from the kitchen. And you go get the extra cushions from the bedroom."

"Yes, boss yes", as soon as Off was done sending the message, he went to the room. Tay quickly fetched New. He was laughing the whole time. Wait, is New finding a kick in all of this? Tay thought.

He pushed New out, who dropped a quick peck on his lips, "Drink in limit", and left. Tay watched him disappearing yet again from his life.

"Who is it? What are you doing there?", Off asked when he came back to the living area.

Tay quickly the grabbed the letter from the letter box fixed on the right side of his condo's door. "Are you my wife? Stop asking so many questions. I was just taking the letter."

"Hehehe. Okay."

Tay went inside and opened the letter. An Invitation to judge a photography competition at Chulalongkorn University. Tay's hands pause in the air when he has a flash of memory of 5 years, making his heart heavy. 

Chulalongkorn University – a root of all his happiness and misery.

***

5 YEARS AGO

"Oye, I am craving a red velvet cake from Tera Boulanger," New said with puppy eyes. "Oh! The one from Phuket?" Earth asked. "Yes. I swear if I fail to grab a good job, I am going to buy their franchise and open it here in Bangkok."

How cute! Tay thought - who has been watching every move of New from classroom window silently.

"You are going to grab the best job that this University's placements can offer. Don't worry." His friend Earth replied.

Tay smiles knowing that New has good bunch of friends around him who can motivate him and take care of him. Ever since Tay joined the University a few weeks ago, he has built inexplicable affection for the boy. Every day, he has to see New to have his boost of energy for the day. It has become his ritual to watch this man silently and sneakily before he takes on the day. Someday he would watch him attending the lectures, someday he would watch him explaining financial terms to his friends, someday he would watch him giving notes to the people who struggled with tough subjects.