Ch15 - What is wrong with you?

New knocked Tay's door in frustration that was building up in him for the past whole week. He was trying hard to focus on his relation with Earth but Tay Tawan wouldn't let that happen in peace.

He did not confront Tay for the whole week thinking it would help Tay get over things. But clearly, he was nowhere close to getting over. He still wouldn't behave normally. His act of burying himself in work and masking nonchalance only further provoked New.

On the top of it, Tay did not even spare him a single glance in the office, even though they met after six days. He wants to fight. He wants to fight with Tay and call him out for his outrageous behaviour.

As for Tay, right now, the love of his life is standing on the threshold looking—grumpy? His mind however, was away from this time zone, playing the scenes from the parking lot on loop in his head.

How Earth pulled New into a hug, how his hand went over New's waist, how New smiled when he was held by him. Did he ever smile like that when Tay hugged him? How Earth pulled him closer again for a kiss, how New looked at Tay while he was leaning in for a kiss with Earth and how New actually—

Tay left the parking lot before his eyes witness something that breaks his already broken heart into million pieces. His presumptions were wilder than the reality. And so, are his efforts to erase those presumptions. He has gulped half a bottle of whiskey already, in the process.

The angel-squad of drunk Tawan's alter ego, which is overworking itself to protect him from the aftermath of the heartbreak, tells him to ask New to leave and shut the door.

The devil-squad which is also overworking itself to make him feel better, drops ideas of some instant gratification. It is telling him to pull New inside and take his share of love from him. It's the least Tay deserves right now.

Tawan listens to none. He doesn't trust his wits right now. Not when he is under influence and is hurting. Tay settles for— "Newwiee?"

New rolls his eyes, "We need to talk."

Tay stands there unmoving while New leans closer to take support of door's frame to toe off his shoes. The reeking smell of alcohol makes passage with New's inhales.

He pauses for a second, sighs and barges in. He holds Tay's shoulders trying to figure out his current state. Tay is still in his office clothes. White shirt and dark brown pants. As he moves closer, Tay flinches drawing his head away still not giving a single expression. New rolls his eyes for nth time already, and nonetheless moves closer and sniffs his breath. "You are drunk?" New looks at Tay in the eyes. "It's a fucking Monday evening, Tawan."

Tay swats his hands away from his shoulders, "I am not drunk. What do you want to talk about?"

"This—this, you. I want to talk about this." New says pointing his finger at Tay.

Tay just stands there frowning, looking confused.

New continues, "You said we were friends and it would not change."

Tay starts walking towards his kitchen bar.

New looks shocked and more irritated at his retreat, "I am talking to you, Te. Where are you going?" He walks after him, "Look at you. How you have been acting. It's been fucking six days, you haven't even said a normal hello to me."

Tay fills his glass with bourbon whiskey without paying any heed to New and just when the fluid was about to meet his lips, New grabs his wrist.

"No. We are not drinking any more, Tawan. God knows how much you have drunk already." New took the glass from his hand and kept it away from him while his phone started to ring.

His one hand was busy holding Tay from reaching to the glass while with other he dug out his phone from his pocket. It was Earth. "Don't touch the glass." He warned Tay with a pointed finger and raised eyebrows before he moved away to answer his call.

"Hello." New spoke over the call. His eyes fixed at Tay from distance.

"Ah, can we go tomorrow? I am here at Te's and he isn't well. I am just trying to help a bit."

"Nothing serious. Just little unwell."

"Yes, I will go home soon."

Tay started drinking directly from the bottle.

"Earth, I will call you later. I gotta go."

New ended his call and rushed to stop Tay from gulping more, "Can you stop?" New yelled. "What is wrong with you? I told you not to touch it." New said snatching the bottle from him.

Tay stopped and looked at New, "You told me not to touch the glass. This is a  bottle."

Is Tay trying to be funny? New gasped in some air to keep his brain calm and functional. He didn't know what to do with him. Just until now, he was sure he knows how to deal with Tay Tawan. But not anymore.

Tay continued, "Besides, why are you here? You are not even real."

New opened his mouth to speak but ended up sighing. He held Tay from his arms and tried again, "I am real. I am here." New assured him and continued, "And it hurts seeing you like this. Can you please stop this?" New's eyes pooled looking at Tay in distress like this. He drew his hands back and palmed his own face trying not to cry.

Tay is not imagining things. New is here. Tay cupped New's face, "Hey! You are really here. I missed you Newwiee."

New looked at him from the blurr of his eyes.

Parking lot. As the scene played again in Tay's head, he drew his hands away. The reality seeped in from some place where sobriety still existed in his head. "Go New. You aren't supposed to be here." Tay spoke shaking his head in left and right a little.

New fisted his hands around Tay's shirt from his elbow pulling him closer. "I am not going. Come here, give me a hug."

Tay hesitated a little but eventually moved closer and hugged New. He can never say no to New.

Only after Tay hugged him, did New realise how much of comforting he himself needed. New's one hand tightly wrapped around Tay's back and other caressed his nape.

The hug was as warm as the sunshine after rainstorm. They both stayed in the embrace for quite some-time.

"Have you eaten your dinner?" New asked.

"No."

"Do you want to go out and eat something?" New asked as his hands were still wrapped around Tay.

"No."

"Okay, I will order something and we can eat here."

"No."

"Shut up Te. You have to eat something. I will order your favourite som tam salad and raviolis."

Tay didn't eat much. New removed his socks and made him lie down on the couch. His head rested in New's lap as New caressed his hair.

After few hours Tay woke up. It was 1:00 am. New was asleep with his head resting against the back of the sofa. Tay gripped his head with his left hand recalling everything. Even though he tried to be as careful as possible, the little movement woke New up.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up."

"No, I wasn't asleep anyway." New replied. "How are you feeling now?

"I am okay New. And sorry for bothering you."

"Shut up Te. Just, know that I am there. And I am not going anywhere so don't push me away."

Tay just looked at him and nodded.

New got up and spoke further. "You must be dehydrated after all the alcohol in your system. Let me get you some water."

"I can get it myself, New." Tay said while trying to get up.

But New was already on his feet towards the kitchen.

He stayed over at Tay's place.

***