Prologue

This is my first time writing a book, so please bare with, sorry if it's not great

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The girl's eyes flickered open, trying to adjust to the harsh rays of sun beaming down on her. Unknown to anyone, this is the first time she has done so in over a thousand years. Once she is more tolerable to the light, she sits up and looks at her surroundings.

The young girl realised two things as she looked around. The first being she had no idea where she was. She couldn't see anything recognisable from her little village. The second thing was that she was alone. She couldn't see her family anywhere.

She became more frantic, panicking as she stood and spun around over and over, trying to see anything or anyone that looked even remotely familiar. She felt tears sliding down her face, trying to hold back her sobs as she came to the realisation that she was lost, and she was alone.

A short distance away, she saw a young couple sat on a bench, fawning over a baby. She slowly walked over to them, cautious of everything that she deemed unfamiliar.

"Hello?" She asked quietly, gaining the attention of the young woman. She seemed to be quite short, with long, blonde, glossy hair cascading down her back. She had freckles lightly dotted around her face, her bright blue eyes were looking down at her kindly.

"Hello there. Are you okay dear?" She asked the young girl concerned. She seemed to be all alone and was clearly distressed, as she had tears streaming down her face.

"Yes, I am okay thank you," she replies, remembering how her big brother always made sure she used her manners. "I was wondering if you have seen my family anywhere?" She asked, hope and fear laced in her voice.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I have no idea where your family is. But I can try to help you look for them, if you want me to?" She answered, smiling down at her.

"Yes please," she sniffled.

"My name's Abby, this is my husband Peter and this is Amelia," the woman introduced, pointing at her husband and daughter in turn. The young man had short, almost black hair, brushed back, away from the rest of his face. He had soft brown eyes, and pale skin. He smiled down at the girl kindly.

"Can you tell us your name?" He spoke to her for the first time.

"It's nice to meet you Abby and Peter. My name is Alexandra." The young girl said. "And I am five years old," she added proudly, forgetting her worry and sadness for a moment.

"Wow, you're almost a big girl now then?" Abby said, earning a small giggle and a nod from Alexandra. "Why don't we take you to our house and we can start looking for your family. Does that sound okay?" Abby asked gently.

"Okay, thank you Abby," she replies. She watched the couple stand up and begin to walk away, and she followed them to their house silently. After around ten minutes of walking, they reached a large house that had ivy running down the side of it. Alexandra looked in amazement at the white door and the bricks all alligned perfectly. She had only ever seen the huts that her village had lived in.

As the small family walked into their home, Alexandra followed cautiously behind them, closing the door behind her. She walked into the kitchen after Abby and sat down where she was told to.

"What are your parents names dear?" Peter asked.

"My mother's name is Esther and father's name is Mikael." She answered, shuddering when she spoke her father's name. Even after all this time it seemed he brought her only fear.

The couple didn't see this, and they turned to each other and began discussing how best to start looking for the girl's family. Unknown to everyone in that room, both her parents were dead. Temporarily at least. Most of her brothers and sisters had no idea she was still alive, never mind looking for them. Only one of them knew.

The second Alexandra had opened her eyes, Niklaus Mikaelson had felt a surge of power rush through him, indicating his baby sister was finally awake. He knew he would look for her, however long it took. He knew that he would not stop until he was reunited with his little sister once again. He daggered Rebekah and left Elijah, giving no explanation other than he 'was needed elsewhere.'

"Alexandra honey, why don't you go sit with baby Amelia until we can start looking for your family?" Peter suggested, earning a smile and a nod back.

For the next five months, the couple looked everywhere for the girl's parents, but found nothing. Eventually they decided that they were chasing dead ends and decided to adopt her themselves. They had grown to care deeply for the girl in the short time they had known her, and knew they would treat her as their own daughter no matter what.

From then on, she was no longer Alexandra Mikaelson, she was Alexandra Smith. Or Andy, to her friends and adoptive family.

Over time, she forgot about her past and her real family, viewing the Smiths' as her own family. What a surprise she'd have in the later years when she rediscovers her whole past life.