5

Niklaus pulls his phone out of the back pocket of his jeans when he hears the familiar ringtone. He sighs upon seeing who the caller was. Reluctantly, he accepted the call and held it up to his ear.

"Hello brother," he greeted.

"Niklaus," came the voice of his older brother.

"What is it you need?"

"I simply wish to know where you are," Elijah said, clearly irritated.

"Why does my location concern you?" Klaus asked teasingly, trying to get a reaction out of the older vampire.

"Because Niklaus, you told me you were leaving for a few days. It's been almost a week now," he replied, sounding exasperated.

"Yes, well, I have found something that required my immediate attention," Klaus told him, voice turning serious.

"What is so important that it earns your full attention?" Elijah questioned curiously.

"I can't tell you just yet brother."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, Elijah, that I'm not telling you what I'm doing or where I am just yet," the younger brother answered in a 'duh' kind of tone.

"And when exactly will you tell me what you're doing?" Elijah asked, once again irritation was evident in his voice.

"Soon brother, soon."

"Well then, can you tell me when you'll be returning?"

"I don't know. It depends on how long this has me occupied for. It could be a few weeks, it could be a few months. I'll let you know when I'll be returning, brother." When he said this, Klaus thought fondly of their baby sister, excited to get to know her after all these years.

"Fine, Niklaus. Just try to hurry up at least," he replied, curious at his brothers sudden cheery mood.

"Of course brother. There is something you should probably know though."

"And what's that, brother?"

"I will undagger our siblings when I return." Klaus said quietly, waiting for Elijah to speak, as he had fallen silent upon hearing his brothers words.

"Niklaus you better not be lying to me. Not about our family," he half threatened, emotion clear in his tone of voice.

"Of course not Elijah." Klaus knew how much family meant to his brother, he would never lie to him about them, despite what the others thought of him.

"Once I have dealt with this, I will return and our family will be whole once again," he continued, his expression and tone quickly turning to one of pure happiness and excitement.

Elijah didn't miss how happy his younger brother sounded, and instantly became suspicious. Nothing good ever came of him being in a good mood. It usually involved murder or torture. He decided to ignore it for now, knowing he'd eventually find out anyway. Instead, he replied, "I'm glad Niklaus."

"Until then brother."

"Until then. Goodbye brother," Elijah said quietly, thinking over the whole conversation.

"Bye," Klaus said before hanging up the phone and placing it back in his back pocket.

He walked into the town, stopping near the bank, waiting for his sister to appear. He knew she would come looking for him again, to get more answers. As he waited, a smile was plastered across his face, never wavering. He couldn't wait until he had his whole family back together again. Minus his youngest brother and parents, of course.