(Childhood)

(Eight years ago)

"Be careful with that British punk Lils, he's serious trouble." One of my old friends said, pointing to the kid with blonde hair who was reading.
I looked at Stan the boy who was pointing to the blonde boy, and I put his hand down.

"Stan, what makes you think he's trouble? You don't even know him." I say with an annoyed tone.

"Just be careful, alright?"

"Yeah, whatever." I shrugged him off and went over to the blonde haired boy fixing my black dress and black short hair.

"Hello there!" I said to him with a sweet yet shy smile on my face.
The boy looked over his book at me a bit cautious.. I feel like he's been bullied before.

"Hi... can I help you?" He asked, his accent sounding like a sweet melody, but his tone was very cautious or more of a proud tone. I didn't know what to make of it.

"I.... erm.. I'm l-lilith but you can call me Lils.. what's your name?" I ask softly, maintaining a sweet smile.
The boy put the book down and looked at me as if searching for any signs of red flags and locked eyes with me for a second before answering.

"Gregory Wolfgang Bellarose Ⅲ... It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He said and held his hand out, showing a little bit of a smile. I smiled more and took his hand in mine and shook his hand before he pulled his hand away and picked his book back up. I noticed the style of the book, and I smiled big.

"Hey.. is that an Edgar Allen Poe book?!" I asked excitedly.
He raised an eyebrow.

"Yes? You're not gonna make fun of me, are you? Or are you a fan of his work?" He asked.
I smile even more.

"I love his work he's my favorite writer!" I recite one of his poems.

"I was a child and she was a child, In this kingdom by the sea; But we loved with a love that was more than love- I and my Annabel Lee; With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven Coveted her and me." I smiled, reciting a piece of my favorite poem. His eyes widened a bit.

"Annabel Lee. That's a classic." He said, a smile appearing upon his lips.
We spent the whole day getting to know each other, and I came to realize that he wasn't anything like the others said.
He was the smartest and sweetest guy I knew.
And so the friendship between gregory and I blossomed.

Over the few months, the more I got to know him more, the more I began to feel a weird feeling in my chest. His smile made my heart flutter oh so softly, His voice and hearing him say my name my cheeks would feel warm and I couldn't help but smile big around him.

One day he was at my house and he was playing piano for me. I sat there, listening breathlessly, and I tucked a strand of my now somewhat long black hair behind my ear. Once he finished, I clapped and cheered.

"Gregory, that was incredible!" I said, smiling big, still clapping.
I saw him blush a little bit and smile sweetly.

"You mean it?" He asked, scratching the back of his head and smiling shyly.
I stood up and sat next to him at the piano and took his hand in mine.

"Yes, I mean it! You're so talented!" I replied, still smiling big, my eyes sparkled.
He smiled softly and thought for a moment, then put his hand up like a hold on sign.

"I almost forgot something." He said as he stepped away from his piano and went to his bag to get something before coming back to me.

"I have something for you...." He said shyly."I hope you like it." He took my hand and slid something on my ring finger where a promise ring would go on, and he moved his hand out of the way, exposing a beautiful ring with little sapphire gem in the center.

"I found it, and I figured I could get it for you... you don't have to keep it if you don't want to."
My eyes sparkled along with tears forming as I looked at the ring.

"It's absolutely magnificent, Gregory..." I hold my hand to my chest. "I'll cherish it til my very last breath." I said softly as I hugged him. "I love it so much.. thank you."
I heard his breath hitch a little, and he hugged back.

"I'm really happy you love it, Lils. I'm so lucky to have a friend like you." He said softly.

"No.. I'm the lucky one here." I corrected, and he laughed a little.

My mother came out, and she saw Gregory and I hugging, and she sniffled. I turned my head to her, and Gregory sat up his eyes wide.

"M-mother?! Why are you sniffling??" I asked concerned.
She smiled and shook her head slightly.

"Oh.. it's nothing at all, I'm just so happy that you two are so close.. though I am shocked you guys aren't together yet." She replied with a smile.
I blush furiously, as did Gregory.

"M-Mother!!" I squealed, and she laughed.

"Come now, I'm just teasing. But it's getting late, and Gregory has to get home before it gets dark."
I pout a bit.

"D-does he really have to go? Can't he spend the night?" I asked, showing puppy dog eyes.

"I wish he could, sweetie, but you know how your father is." She replied, letting out a sigh.
Gregory sighed as well.

"I do have to head home anyway, but maybe one day I can try to convince your father that he can trust me." He took my hands in his and looked into my eyes.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school, alright?" He said softly with a loving smile.
I nod and hug him.

"Sounds like a plan, Gregory. I'll miss you." I replied softly.
He blushes again and hugs me.

"I'll miss you too, my rose." He said before he went to get his coat, and my mother drove him home.

I went to my room and twirled around like a princess or a lovesick fool. I plopped onto my bed, my thoughts filled with him.
I lay on my side and look at the ring on my finger, and I smile lovingly before I slowly drift off to sleep.