Unexpected tragedy

"Wait.. You're going where?!" I asked Gregory wide-eyed.

"My class is going on a field trip to the Grand Canyon. Isn't that wonderful?" He said excitedly.
I felt a sick feeling in my stomach but kept a smile for Gregory, showing support.
I slowly nod.

"Y-yeah, who else is in your class that you're going with?" I asked, curious.

"Stan, Kyle, Eric, Clyde, and Craig." He replied.
My stomach tightened as he said Stan and Kyle's name. I now had a really bad feeling about the trip he was going on.

"Gregory... I..." He looks at me with a twinkle in his eyes.
I couldn't voice my worry, I didn't want to ruin his excitement, so I shook my head and smiled lovingly, holding his hands in mine.

"You enjoy every minute of it, ok? And don't forget to bring me back a souvenir or two, okie?" I speak softly.
He smiles big and hugs me

"Of course, my rose, I was already planning on it silly." He chuckled a bit.
I hugged back the sick feeling still remaining. He pulled away and cupped my cheek, a soft smile fixed on his lips.
I lean into his touch, enjoying the butterflies he gives me. I didn't know if I should confess my feelings to him now or wait until after his trip. I looked into his eyes.

"Gregory?" I spoke.

"Yes, Lils?" He hummed.

"I...I.. I'm really happy you're in my life.. you know that, right?"

His eyes shimmered and smiled before placing a soft kiss upon my forehead. My cheeks became beet red. He replies, his voice soft and his accent sounding ever so sweet.

"I know, and you're very important to me, I promise to return safely, alright?"
I nodded, and we hugged. The sick feeling still remains. During classes him and I would pass notes on one of the notes I wrote. 𝓘 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾, and his cheeks were cherry red, and he smiled and wrote back. ℒℴ𝓋ℯ 𝓎ℴ𝓊 𝓉ℴℴ ℒ𝒾𝓁𝓈. I think he thought I was playing around, but when he comes back from his trip, he'll know I was being serious.
At the end of the day we went to my house to play piano together and read together.

The next day was the trip, and the sick feeling grew stronger.
Before he got on the bus, I grabbed his hand he looked at me with the sweetest and loveliest smile before placing a soft kiss on my forehead. And whispered.

"I'll return before you even know it, I promise." He let go of my hand and went on the bus, and the bus drove away.

I sat silently during classes my mind flooded with Gregory yet again, and all of a sudden, tears formed in my eyes. I didn't understand why, and my heart was hurting.
I went home and sat on my bed, holding myself repeating, "My dearest Gregory, please return safely."

The next day, the bus came back, and I waited eagerly to be in Gregory's arms. But there was no sight of him. I grabbed Stans arm.

"Where's Gregory?" I asked fear flooding in my eyes. He shrugged.

"I don't know, and honestly, I don't care." He shook my hand away. I ran into the bus and searched seat to seat, with no sign of Gregory. My heart ached. The bus driver escorted me off the bus and drove away.
I fell to my knees sobbing.

"Where's Gregory?! W-where is he... he promised he'd return...."

I ran home and ran up the stairs and threw myself on the bed sobbing.

The day after, I heard a knock on the front door. I got excited that maybe it was him.. the love of my life and raced down the stairs to only see two police officers.

"Are you the girl named Lils?" The one officer asked. I slowly nodded.
The officer knelt down and spoke a very guilty tone in his voice.

"I'm sorry, but your friend Gregory is dead."
My eyes widened. No.. fucking... way.. I thought.

"Th-this is a joke... right?" I looked up at my mother, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I'm so sorry, sweetheart." My mother said, her voice cracking.
I fell to my knees as the officers left. Screaming out in pain, my heart shattered to where there was no remains screaming and crying his name.

"......𝐺𝑅𝐸𝐺𝑂𝑅𝑌!!!!!" My mother held me as I screamed and sobbed, repeating his name.

"I'm so so sorry, sweetheart." Was all my mother could say.
I pulled away and ran back up to my room and locked the door, and sobbed and screamed more.
My whole world fell apart.

The next day was his funeral it was pouring rain. I wore a black dress and held black and blue roses. As they buried him, I fell onto the wet ground. I cried out his name and sobbed my mascara bled down my cheeks. Stan tried to pick me up to my feet, and anger burned, and I pushed him to the ground.

"Get the fuck away from me!"
I screamed at Stan. His eyes were wide as Kyle and Kenny and Eric helped him back up. And they gave me a dirty look,
And left me alone in front of the tombstone.
My heart felt like it was slowly dying. As I placed the bouquet in front of his tombstone. And knelt before it. Begging and praying.

"P-please.. Gregory.. please come back... please.. I don't want to be without you... I... I love you... I'm serious.. I love you so much... I'll never stop loving you.. I promise...G-gr-gre-greg-ory. P-please p-please come back...." I sobbed before his tombstone. As my blood boiled with hatred to those who could've taken his life. And pain of losing the one I truly loved. My mother finally pulled me away, and I screamed and tried to latch onto the dirt he was buried under.

"NO.. I want to be with him!! Mother, let me be with him.. don't take me from him!!!" I screamed out. She didn't listen and carried me back to the car. Tears couldn't stop pouring from my eyes.

Over the years, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat. Every night, I'd sneak out to see his grave and stay there til my mother would come get me and bring me back home.

School was troublesome and a real pain in the ass. It got worse as senior year came along.
I genuinely felt.. all hope was lost.