Chapter 3

The calming pulse of Aurelia's hooves pulled Cedric and me through the busy town as we ride her toward the local bar. Thankfully, I can drink whenever, as I am a princess, and father has given permission for me to drink at the local bars. We have a sense of familiarity and friendship that grows with each step we take together. When we reach the well-known location, we get off and tether Aurelia to the hitching post, her presence providing a comforting presence in the middle of the bustling town square. We push open the wooden door and are greeted by the vibrant chatter of the diners and the warmth of the hearth. Gareth, the cheerful bartender, and Cedric's best friend is standing behind the shiny counter, his muscular body radiating warmth. His booming chuckle reverberates across the space, sounding as natural as our own hearts pounding. He greets us with a warm smile and genuine kindness in each corner of his eyes. Gareth immediately begins entertaining us with stories of the town's recent incidents and eccentric residents as we take our seats on the well-used stools. He fills two glasses with ale with a steady hand. the golden liquid glistening invitingly in the gentle glow of the tavern's lanterns. The initial taste is enlightening, a remedy for the spirit that eases the stresses of the day. The sheer joy of being surrounded by friends seems to take the place of the stresses of our journey when we are with Gareth. I'm reminded once more of the connections that bind us as we lift our glasses in silent toast. These bonds are forged through laughter, companionship, and the eternal warmth of friendship. And I can't help but be thankful for these few moments of calm amid the stress of our lives when Cedric's laughter blends with Gareth's deep laughs.