What happened?!

As I took my seat at the back of the classroom, trying to ignore the uneasy glances and whispers that followed me, the group of betas approached me with predatory smiles, their eyes alight with malicious curiosity.

"Hey there, new girl," one of them said with a sickly sweet tone, her voice dripping with false cheerfulness. "What's your name?"

I braced myself for what was to come, already sensing the hostility simmering beneath their polite facade. "I'm Luna," I replied cautiously, keeping my tone neutral despite the unease that coiled in the pit of my stomach.

The girl exchanged knowing glances with her companions before turning back to me, her smile widening into a smirk. "So, Luna," she said, her voice taking on a mocking edge. "What's your story? You're new here, and you're sitting all alone. That's not a good sign, you know."

I felt a surge of frustration rise within me at her insinuation, but I knew better than to let my emotions get the better of me. "I'm not here for any troubles." I replied evenly, my tone carefully measured.

But the girl didn't seem convinced. She leaned in closer, her eyes narrowing with suspicion. "Come on, Luna," she said, her voice low and conspiratorial. "We all know what it means when a lonely stray bitch shows up out of nowhere. It usually spells trouble."

My heart skipped a beat at her words, a sense of unease settling over me like a dark cloud. How did they know I was a lone wolf and then calling me a bitch on top of that? Had someone been watching me?

But I quickly pushed aside my fears, forcing myself to maintain a calm facade despite the rising panic within me. "I don't know what you're talking about," I said firmly, my voice tinged with defiance. "I'm just here to get an education, same as everyone else."

The girl exchanged a knowing glance with her companions before turning back to me with a smirk. "We'll see about that, Luna," she said cryptically, her tone filled with ominous promise. "We'll be keeping an eye on you."

As the tension in the classroom reached a palpable crescendo, a commanding presence filled the room as the alpha approached. His steps were deliberate, his gaze stern as he addressed the group of betas surrounding me.

"Enough," he said, his voice cutting through the murmurs of the other students like a knife. "This behavior is unacceptable."

The betas glanced at each other nervously, their expressions shifting from smug confidence to uncertainty as the weight of the alpha's authority bore down upon them.

The alpha turned to me, his expression softening with a hint of sympathy. "I apologize for their behavior," he said, his tone sincere. "They can be a bit... overzealous at times."

I nodded, a sense of relief washing over me at his words. "Thank you," I said quietly, grateful for the intervention.

The alpha inclined his head in acknowledgement before turning back to the betas, his gaze steely. "You know better than to harass a fellow student and one of us," he admonished, his voice firm but measured. "If I hear of any further incidents, there will be consequences."

The betas nodded in understanding, their expressions chastened as they muttered apologies under their breath.

With a final nod of satisfaction, the alpha turned back to me, extending his hand in greeting. "I'm Jacob," he said, his tone warm and welcoming. "Alpha of the Crescent Moon pack. It's a pleasure to meet you, Luna."

I shook his hand, a sense of gratitude welling up within me. Despite the rocky start to my first day at this new school, it seemed that not everyone here was hostile towards me.

"The pleasure is mine, Jacob," I replied, mustering a small smile. "Thank you for stepping in."

Jacob returned my smile, his gaze lingering on mine for a moment longer before he turned to leave, the aura of authority that surrounded him leaving a lasting impression on the classroom long after he was gone.