What is this?

As the urgency of the situation propelled me out of the building, my mind fixated on the safety of the ravens. With adrenaline coursing through my veins, I sprinted until I reached a clearing, my breath coming in ragged gasps as I looked up at the sky.

Summoning all my focus, I let out a sharp whistle, a sound that pierced through the chaos around me. For a moment, there was silence, broken only by the distant wail of sirens and the shuffling of feet.

And then, like a shadow emerging from the depths of the sky, a solitary raven descended, its wings outstretched as it alighted gracefully on the ground before me. Its eyes bore into mine, intelligent and knowing, as if it understood the gravity of the situation.

Without hesitation, I locked gazes with the raven, my thoughts reaching out to it in silent communication. "Go," I whispered, my voice barely above a breath. "Find the others. Keep them safe."

To my astonishment, the raven seemed to understand, its eyes flashing with recognition before it took off into the sky, its wings beating a steady rhythm as it vanished into the distance.

Adrian's brow furrowed in confusion as he watched the raven soar into the distance, his eyes flicking back to me with a mixture of awe and bewilderment.

"Luna, how did you do that?" he asked, his voice tinged with genuine curiosity. "How did you call the raven like that?"

I met his gaze, a small smile playing at the corners of my lips as I considered his question. "It's... hard to explain," I admitted, struggling to find the right words. "It's like... we have a connection, me and the ravens. They've always been there for me, watching over me when I needed them most."

Adrian's expression softened as he listened, his eyes reflecting a glimmer of understanding. "So you have some kind of... bond with them?" he ventured, his tone thoughtful.

I nodded, a sense of warmth spreading through me at the realization that Adrian was trying to comprehend my connection with the ravens. "Yeah, something like that," I replied, my voice tinged with gratitude. "They've saved me more times than I can count. And now... it's my turn to help them."

"Luna," Adrian began, his voice gentle yet resolute. "I promise you, no matter what happens, I will protect you. I won't tell anyone about this."

I was already careful that no one saw me except Adrian call out to the raven. Hearing him say that made me feel reasured. I glanced up at him, confusion furrowing my brow. "But why?" I asked, unable to mask the bewilderment in my voice. "Why do you feel the need to protect me?"

Adrian's expression softened, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Because you're important to me," he replied simply, his eyes meeting mine with unwavering sincerity.

I couldn't help but feel a surge of frustration welling up within me. "But why?" I pressed, my tone tinged with exasperation. "Why am I important to you?"

Adrian's brow furrowed in confusion, his gaze searching mine for answers. "Luna, I don't understand what you're asking," he admitted, his voice tinged with concern. "But please, know that I mean every word I say. I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe."

I felt a pang of guilt at his earnestness, yet I couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. "Adrian, I appreciate your concern," I said carefully, choosing my words with precision. "But... I can protect myself besides, you're not the first person to make promises like that to me."

Adrian's eyes widened in surprise, his expression a mixture of confusion and concern. "What do you mean?" he asked, his voice tinged with uncertainty.

I sighed, the weight of my words hanging heavy in the air between us. "I mean... you're not the first guy to claim that I'm important to him let alone their mate," I explained hesitantly, my voice trailing off as I struggled to find the right words.