2. A SECRET DEEP UNDERGROUND

CHAPTER 2
A SECRET DEEP UNDERGROUND

The Dark Peak is higher, wilder and forms largely uninhabited moorland and gritstone escarpments across the northern Peak District area of Yorkshire.

Deep below it, and just a few minutes later that same September morning, Cha'3E raised his gaunt face with dark eyes skyward. It was an instinct, despite the encircling subterranean complex precluding any view of the exquisite day in full flow beyond.

His two surface stints in '76 and '78 had seemed short, and now five years later simple access to a sky of any weathers was one thing he missed. Swans were another.

Cha had convened a full attendance EGM within the Central Directorate, and this meeting was due to start at 3.00pm in an adjoining chasmic chamber, which gave ample opportunity to refine his projection figures.

As the filtered water from the cooler-tank shot into his paper cup, he pushed a hand through his thick white hair and stroked the delicate gold braid that ran from shoulder to torso across his deep red gown. He was well versed. He knew to within a ten percent degree of accuracy the global billions that his two industry refinements would generate in the coming months and years. He also knew their full potential into the 1990s and beyond, although not that he cared.

Cha used both thumbs to unfold his ultra-thin GlasSlate® phablet and three-dimensional images of each chart rippled over his palms. A news ticker scrolled the lower few pixels, annoying him with stories from the outer world. Surface Tension as he facetiously called it.

Today he would lead the charge, having previously secured backing from key Directorate influencers. Beautiful new billions were already flowing in from two of their Progressionaries' current endeavours, yet the Directorate's latest project required far more. Protocol dictated this full Extraordinary General Meeting was required, but it should be no more than a rubber stamping.

Deep in the Dark Peak and deeper in his heart Cha knew he was ready. His meeting start time could be brought forward, but he preferred to check the room layout and ensure its AI technology had been correctly upgraded. This would guarantee his immersive presentation reached peak performance.

He clicked his thumb and middle finger towards his companion and Zen followed him from the office.

Across the corridor Cha caught sight of Emm'4K striding towards him, fresh after her return from SETI. Her white hooded gown occasionally revealing brilliant white high-boots that shone beneath. The gown's braiding depicted diamond motifs.

They met each other's eyes and walked together along the silvered floor. He saw himself in those eyes, deeply reflective sea pebbles burnished by her intellect. He smiled warmly at her.

"How was your time up there?"

"So very enlightening and inspiring Cha. Are we ready?" she asked.

With Emm everything was possible.

"As we'll ever be, thanks to you."

"Have you decided which plan to present first?"

"Star Bucks Emm, Star... Bucks."

"Star Bucks!" she mirrored and smiled in admiration. "Of course. How perfectly named is that! This is going to be so very interesting."