18. 1983, THE SIZE OF SHEFFIELD

PART THREE
OUR MISTAKES
1983

For time and the world do not stand still.  Change is the law of life.
John. F. Kennedy

CHAPTER 18
THE SIZE OF SHEFFIELD

Black holes in this off-world neighbourhood pack more mass than our sun into an area the size of Sheffield.

Though they could not know it, the black hole Nelson and Tina plunged into was simply a heavy pair of blackened swing doors leading to another corridor beneath the Dark Peak, conveniently sheathed in black tiles grouted with black cement. There were no lights nor reflective surfaces, and although impossible to perceive, this new corridor curved like all the others, forcing them to run on with only blind belief for support. The door to the chamber from which they had fled, receded. The couple raced in total darkness. Nelson's feet thumped. Tina's heels clacked.

"Where are we going?" pleaded Tina into the void.

"This was marked as an emergency exit, which means a way out," offered Nelson.

"But... do you know where it will lead?"

"No, I don't. Out. Away from these weird Knowalls and their dodgy robes. Just keep running."

"Oh Nelson," said a voice from nowhere. "That's a shame." Then a pause before: "Are you really a Luddite?"

"Who's that?" hissed Nelson, slowing his pace.

"I don't know," replied Tina, "it came from nowhere."

Nelson scoffed and picked the pace back up.

"Where are you? And what's a Luddite?" Tina called out.

Nelson fumbled to grab Tina's hand in the blindness, pulling her along in a renewed effort to speed up.

"Keep running."

"Wait Nelson, slow down."

"Why?"

"My raincoat has come undone."

"Hell! Why now?"

"It's just so dark. I've had an idea," whispered Tina.

"What, here?"

"In your dreams Nelson. Shut up! Stare at the wall."

"Hmm?"

"Stare at the wall."

"What!"

"Stare... at... the wall Nelson."

"Why should I stare at the wall?"

"Don't you remember?"

"No, I don't bleeding well remember," he shrieked.

Continuing in a low voice, Tina hushed into the black.

"When you wanted to relieve yourself in the white tunnel, that Knowall glared at the wall... and magically a cubicle appeared. I'm trusting that we're in one of those tunnels now."

"So?"

"So, take a moment to think... they know we're in here, and by now are probably simply sitting in wait at the other end. Stare at the wall and..."

"Hang on, I can't even see you, never mind the wall. And what's all this Listen to me I'm leader routine."

"Nelson, you said in order to escape we needed calm, intellect and a brilliant idea."