35. FUTURE-PROOFED PRODUCTS

CHAPTER 35
FUTURE-PROOFED PRODUCTS

The modified 747 crossed a midnight blue sky, murmuring like an immense and determined dragonfly, invisible to the ground below.

"It all sounds amazing Charlie, almost fantastical," sighed Nelson, once more reclining into his lush seat. He was in awe, and he now vainly imagined what a remarkable story this would make for his Sunday supplement employers.

"Thank you, Nelson. I wish I could take more credit, but none of these original processes or ideas were mine. They have come together over decades." As he said this, Charlie nodded back towards Fry'1S, who smiled awkwardly and returned to his tablet.

"However," continued the Knowall, "thankfully, together with Emm over there, we're getting near to our own launch dates."

"Your companies Charlie? You are launching startups?"

"Yes Nelson, or more accurately, repurposing them. Emm and I are about to invigorate two well established industries with new and future-proofed product lines. They will be forever changed."

"Really! Okay now I'm interested, please tell me Charlie... which two?" pressed Nelson.

"Are we invigorating..."

"Yes!"

"Well," said Charlie, his dark eyes twinkling, "they are..."

"Please."

"Okay... they are, take-away coffee and bottled water."

"Pah!"

Nelson could not contain himself. He then instantly felt embarrassed about his outburst.

"I'm very sorry Charlie... I didn't mean to sound so rude. But... well I must admit, I was expecting something a little more sensational and fail-safe."

"Really Nelson? Cappuccino? Macchiato? Decaf latte?"

"No idea, are they Italian footballers? I mean, it's 1983... no one is going to buy take-away coffee when we already have instant coffee granules at home."

"Even if we write your name on the cup?"

"Come off it, Charlie. And bottled water... why would I want to go into a supermarket and buy a container of water, when I have it available fresh out of the tap?"

"That," said Charlie, "is a good question."

"Sorry. Neither of those will take off."

"Thank you, Nelson. I'll take your advice onboard. We've completed a full scenario analysis and run our numbers. It will work."

"Hopefully someone has better ideas," Nelson said quietly, but not enough that it was just to himself. And as if it had been bubbling up like a hot water geyser inside of him for some time he suddenly announced.

"You know what you should get into..."

"What's that Nelson?"

"Wheel clamps."

"Wheel clamps?"

"Yes, I think that's what they are called. I saw one in Mayfair the other day. Now they are the future. Poor guy thought he'd be okay parking on a double yellow line, and he was just staring at it. He didn't know what to do. You'll make a fortune from them."

"We'll consider it," said Charlie flatly.

"You should," replied Nelson. "More money to your coffers."

They sat in mute silence for a few moments surrounded by the background hum of the plane's engines. Nelson fidgeted in his seat and sat up.

"So Charlie, you referenced your biggest plan, again. Can you come clean and tell me what you are going to do with all this new money?"

Charlie looked at Nelson and his face brightened. He leaned forward and his eyes twinkled again, partnered with a conspiratorial smile.

"Well, there's an unlikely clue in one of the company brand names."

"A clue. What kind of clue?"

"Star Bucks."

"What? Bucks as in dollars? Never heard of it."

"They're mainly a West Coast outfit at the moment, but in the right sector and appropriately named."

"You're still not making any sense Charlie."

"Star... Bucks," the Knowall repeated.

Nelson glanced up to the plane's ceiling smothered in its chartreuse hue, down to the thick white hair of Charlie's head that now glowed aquamarine in this light. He then stared straight into his deep eyes, finally shrugging his shoulders and once again twisting the palms of his hands gently upwards, this time with the fingers splayed slightly inviting the Knowall to clarify matters.

"We have to be ready," was all Charlie offered.

"Ready. For what?"

"...The Quit."

"The Quit... you mean shutting your companies down? That shouldn't take long especially if you think take-away coffee and bottled water are going to succeed!"

The smile from Charlie's face dropped as he stared back at Nelson.

"Enough for now," he said flatly, "we need sleep."

"Okay, sorry Charlie, wrong joke. But still..."

***

Pleased with himself, Nelson strolled along the plane's interior and sat down next to Tina, a wide grin on his face.

"Star dollars, eh? Take-away coffee, ha. Please. These guys don't know everything Tina."

He pressed the recline button on his leather chair. To his surprise it rolled back completely to a full horizontal. He then watched Tina carefully recline her own seat, avoiding a fully flat position. Nelson settled into the leather, closed his eyes, and let the early morning tiredness start to come into his body as the plane's electric engines hummed softly in the background. He was feeling sleepy.

"Wheel clamps," he sighed to himself, confirming the thought with a gentle nod.

From her resting position Tina tilted her head towards him. Nelson sensed the movement and opened his eyes to see a deep furrow of concern was across her brow.

They locked eyes.

"Are you okay Tina? What's the matter?" he asked quietly.

She pursed her lips and twitched her nose to one side and then responded in an equally hushed tone.

"It still doesn't add up Nelson."

"What doesn't?"

"Us."

"Me and you?"

"Yes Nelson. Here, on this plane, with these guys from our future. And now on our way to Puerto Rico. What do they need us for?"