21. DARWIN 2.0

CHAPTER 21
DARWIN 2.0

The Knowall strode from the Cloud Computing room and into the hallway. Nelson and Tina dutifully followed, each processing in their own way this new information. They walked past the many lacquered doors with their plated signs. Nelson paused in front of:

DARWIN 2.0 & HYPERMUTATION

This had significantly piqued his interest as they first entered the corridor.

"What's in there?"

"A mystery we are still in the process of solving."

"Darwin 2.0? So you think he was wrong!" exclaimed Nelson.

"No, not at all," said the Knowall, "...but we think he may still need some help."

"Yes! And I agree entirely," interjected Nelson unexpectedly, suddenly more animated than at any point since their arrival.

"You do?"

The Knowall was taken aback by this unexpected outburst from a man he may have judged too soon.

"I certainly do, Dex. The Cambrian Explosion... I did my thesis on it. My thesis! For for my Masters in Paleontology."

Nelson sighed and his eyes widened recalling his university days. "Five-hundred and forty million years ago... an unexplained and unparalleled emergence of vast varieties of lifeforms and intense evolution. What I loved is that all of this came after a tiny background hum of bacteria and bugs for billions of years beforehand. And then bang! Bang Dex. Life everywhere. A massive story that's probably the most significant part of all Earth's evolution. Even Darwin couldn't explain it... and ventured it could upset his own theories. Wait, hang on..."

Nelson's head snapped towards the Knowall in shock. "You're not saying that this was you guys as well?"

"Ha hah hah," burst out the Knowall in genuine laughter. "Good grief, no Nelson. This was before any human evolution or intelligent life."

"Thank God. It doesn't make sense, does it? Never did! The most staggering thing is that no one really knows definitively why it happened!"

"Indeed, my dear Nelson. And I can clearly see that this is one of your passions."

"Oh it was Dex, at least until I had to leave academia and come into the real world." Nelson dropped his head slightly disconsolately and stared at the floor for a few seconds. He looked back up at the Knowall. "So, go on then, what's your hypermutation theory?"

"Exactly that Nelson, just a theory. Or perhaps some form of interference. Let's walk and talk."

The Knowall led them along the corridor and away from the large chamber from which they fled. He steered through another series of corridors. Nelson and Tina walked flanking him either side.

Tina listened respectfully and then absent-mindedly to Dex's notions of evolution and programmed mutation that she didn't understand or care about, all the while stealing surreptitious looks at this guiding figure in his dark red robes. Though he was clearly aging, there was something older and deeper within him, as though a large burden weighed heavy. She then tuned back into their conversation just as Nelson asked a strange question.

"So just a minute Dex. This sounds like your Darwin 2.0 thinking is leading towards some form of divine intervention?"

"Nelson!" The chastisement from the Knowall was formal. "We are scientists and technologists at heart, not theologians." His spurning eyes were unwavering. Confident of the subject matter, Nelson held his ground.