Chapter 3 - It's All Code

The bedding was all messed up from when Liam was drying the charger, but he still managed to get some sleep in. Some horrible sleep, but sleep nonetheless. A few hours later, he awoke. He assumed it was nighttime, having woken up to darkness. It had been several hours since Liam last figured out how to use the charger to connect Texty to Airy's computer. He figured that, by now, Texty should at least be awake again.

He grabbed his crutch, groggily stumbling his way out of the cabin. Even though the way was blocked by the darkness of night, he knew it was almost a straight shot from the cabin to the cave. It took a minute, but he reached the cave, pushing the vines out of the way.

"Texty?" Liam watched the computer screen, noticing a jumble of words flying across the screen. It looked like an argument of sorts. He rubbed the tiredness from his eyes, as well as the surprise.

"Hey, so I guess I was right when I thought there were more hidden text boxes" Texty frantically typed out. "This is not the best place to find this out I KNOW"

"I WAS HERE FIRST." The other text box floated around Texty, typing out angry emoticons.

"Guys, guys!" Liam shouted at them, then sighed. Who would've thought he'd have to break up a fight between two sentient textboxes? "Cut it out!"

The two textboxes stopped, but the other text box still had an angry face typed out. Though he had so many questions to ask, and even the slightest bit of hope for answers, he had to defuse the situation first. "Sorry, I didn't know this computer was occupied, but we need to figure out how to work these planets."

"Yeah, to get your friends out. I saw what you were trying to do." The text box said.

Liam pressed his hands together, with a hopeful smile. "Then you understand how to get them out, right?"

The text box said nothing. A few moments passed before Texty answered for them. "You do, don't you?"

"What's it to you? You could be garbage people. I don't know you." They snapped.

Liam looked down for a moment. "Look, the quicker we get my friends back home, the quicker we'll leave you alone. Does that sound good?"

"Just say yes." Texty wrote.

They were slow to type, but the text box responded with "Fine."

Liam let out a sigh of relief. This text box had to have the answers to his questions. Surely, with their help, they'd be able to end this competition once and for all. This whole ordeal could end sooner than he thought. He smiled at the thought.

He was about to turn away, but saw a flicker on the screen in his peripheral view. He walked over to the screen, his heart sinking at the words plastered on there.

"You should know that I can't operate the competition without someone on the keyboard." They wrote. "I'm not like Texty over there, who has direct access to their keyboard."