Chapter 3

"So, your hotel reservations are booked. Here is your plane ticket and there will be a rental car waiting for you when you get there." My assistant said as I gathered the last of my luggage.

"Sunnyfield doesn't have hotels, Dylan." I said although I knew that could've changed. Connie said the town has done some remodeling and I hadn't been in years to see for myself. They could've added a hotel and hopefully a cell tower. I needed to stay in contact with Rachel while I was away. Or she needed to be in contact with me.

"No, they didn't. I'm afraid it's a Bed & Breakfast." He replied tepidly as I dragged my bags out of my house. The taxi driver quickly leaned off the car to give me a hand.

"And don't forget you have a book talk, Q&A followed by signings at The Huntington Library, Art Museum and Botanical Gardens on the 25th." He continued eagerly in my ear.

"Yes, I know. I will be back before then." I said knowing I wanted to spend the least amount of time there once I arrived.

Hanging up on him once he was finished reminding me of my schedule. Going back into my house for the last of my things made me sigh heavily beginning to realize what I had gotten myself into.

"It's not a big deal. It's not a big deal. This is silly." I muttered to myself trying to calm my nerves. "You could just not go. Just say I have a uh, work emergency. I mean yeah some people could be bummed. Mainly Connie." I talked to myself pacing around my living room.

"I haven't seen any of these people in ten years anyways. Not like the whole town would care if I came to this reunion." I said, trying to convince myself not to go. I heard the taxi honk for me pulling me back to reality. It's a little too late to back out now.

Groaning as I grabbed my last piece of luggage, locking my door behind me. "Here goes nothing."

Once my plane landed in Alabama, I took another cab to my rural hometown which took another hour or so to get to. Passing the familiar ranches and large green hills of horses and cows before we finally entered Sunnyfeild.

Leaning towards the window watching everyone walk around town, running errands and chatting with friends and family. Banners and balloons were hung around advertising for the reunion as I continued to be overwhelmed by it all. It all came flooding back as I looked around at all the large southern architecture.

"Thank you." I said as he pulled up to the B&B I would be staying at. Grabbing my bags looking up at the large white building with beautiful planted flowers around the porch. An American and Alabama Flag hung on each side of the door as I walked inside.

"Hello?" I said into the empty lobby. "Be right with you!" An older woman said as I looked around at all of the brown and red country decor. "Hello, how may I help you?" She came out to greet me from behind the counter.

"I have a reservation. I'm here for the reunion." I walked further into the home with my heavy bags. "Oh?" She asked as she tried to place me. Her eyes roamed my face making me give a weak smile.

I know I've changed a lot over the years. Finally getting rid of my braces and acne and learning the types of products to tame my wavy hair. "Britney Loughrey." I said as the older woman's wrinkled eyes went wide.

"Bethany?!" She breathed in realization raking me up and down. "Oh, my- The rumors were true!" She beamed, making me smile weakly. "The famous author has come back to our small town." She gushed as I was desperate to collapse onto a soft bed.

"Suppose so. If I could just get a room-" I said politely, making her nod. "Yes, yes of course, darling. You must be exhausted. You have a big day ahead of you." She grinned, handing me the room key.