Chapter 5

"What does one wear to a football game?" I asked Connie through the phone rummaging through my bags. "Just wear something athletic. If you don't have anything you can borrow from me or Susanna."

"I wish you would've told me. I would've come later just to avoid this." I groaned pacing around the Bed & Breakfast room I was staying in. "Oh, come on." She chuckled. "All you have to do is come cheer for the team."

Throwing on a pair of leggings and a tee shirt before throwing my long wavy hair in a high ponytail. Driving towards my old high school where people began to set up for the game and vendors organized their booths of popcorn and candy.

"Beth! Over here!" Connie yelled from in front of the bleachers. "This is for you. Just to show your Sunnyfield spirit." She handed me a yellow tee shirt of our high school football team's logo and mascot.

"Fine, but I'm not wearing one of those foam fingers." I pressed, making Molly laugh as Kieth, Dave and Alex walked over. "Hey, Bethany. Come to see us kick butt?" Alex smiled, cracking his knuckles.

"Thought I'd see what I was missing." I replied. It wasn't often that I went to one of Aaron and his friends' football games. Just whenever Connie bribed and pleaded for me to join her. And at the time I used it as an excuse to see Aaron.

Ten years later and still nothing changed.

"Is Aaron going to play with you guys?" I asked Connie nonchalantly as everyone looked at one another. I frowned watching their demeanor change as they grew quiet.

"Maybe." She smiled weakly. "I'll get the popcorn!" Molly exclaimed excitedly.

Throwing on the matching t-shirt Connie gave me, noticing the bleachers quickly began to fill. Hearing a whistle blow loudly beside me made me practically jump out of my skin.

"Bethany! You're back In Sunnyfield?" Peter, Aaron's father walked up to me. "Mr. Russel?" I laughed surprised. "My, God! How long has it been?" He reached out of a tight hug.

"I don't think I've seen you since high school graduation." I smiled weakly. "Woah, look at you. It's so good to see you." Aaron's father expressed genuinely. "You too, sir."

"Betty at a football game? Do my eyes deceive me?" Aaron's voice said behind me, startling me. Turning to face him as he smiled walking over to me.

Now I was able to see him under the bright sun in the light of day. His features had barely changed since the last time I saw him. Aaron grew a 5 o'clock shadow and his wispy dark blonde hair was covered by a baseball cap.

"Yes, I am. I'm a changed woman. I'm quite fond of sports." I said nervously trying not to stare at him for too long. "Oh?" He asked inquisitively, making me nod.

Aaron grinned showing off his attractive smile lines. "Definitely. And beer and clubbing and... pilates." I lied, making him look down at me full of amusement.

"Pilates, huh?" He asked, seeing right through my nerves. Internally groaning at how much of a nervous wreck I still was around him. "I'm an L.A gal now. Through and through." I internally scolded myself for lying my butt off to them.

"Well, see about that." Aaron said with a small smile. "Leave Beth alone, son. This is why she hasn't come to visit us." Peter said making Aaron roll his eyes.

"I, uh, have to say I'm surprised you two lost touch. You three used to be so close." Peter continued making me look away in guilt. Aaron rubbed the back of his neck as we stood in awkward silence.

"I always thought maybe you two would've ended up together." He continued with a grin before walking away to sit down up on the bleachers. "Dad!" Aaron scolded turning around as his father walked away with a wave. "Sorry about that."