Chapter 9

"Oh my goodness is that Bethany? It is! And lookin' like a sexy L.A woman." Gillian's southern accent beamed from across the room as I chatted with Eddie.

"Wow." I scoffed to myself watching her posse flock around her. "Gillian Ray." I applied a fake smile recognizing the most popular girl from our high school. "It's been Gillian Williams for about five years now. And you can say 'hello' to Tracey, Clair and Mickala. They all got new last names too." She gushed motioning to her childhood friends. 

"Well, let me get a look at you!" Her eyes raked me up and down in complete shock. "No glasses, no braces, no acne. Or silly hair." Gillian listed as she looked at my old yearbook photo pinned to my dress. All her friends giggled, inspecting me.

"Right, well ten years is a long time to change." I replied as she studied me like a science experiment. "And my, aren't you fit. I am too of course. We ladies get plenty of exercise always runnin' after our kids. And of course our husbands." She smiled as Eddie turned away from the conversation sipping his drink.

"You must have a lot of time on your hands. I can't help but notice you came alone." Gillian said with fake disappointment pouting her lips. "Yes, I'm not married." I replied looking around itching to leave this conversation.

"Oh, yes how could you be! With your fabulous, busy life in L.A. There must not be any time for dating while you're writing your little stories." Gillian patronized, making tense my jaw trying to keep myself from retaliating.

"Well. at least I have-" I began until Aaron walked up to us. Thankful he cut me off before I could say anything rude. "Gillian. It's nice to see you made it." Aaron came up close beside me.

His musky cologne smelled heavenly making my light headed. Gillian smiled up at him like a love-struck school girl she clearly still was.

"Aaron Russel. My word." Gillian gushed, her eyes wide making me roll mine. "Seems like just yesterday we were the 'it' couple in school."  She said completely forgetting all about me.

"Seems like a whole lifetime ago. If you'll excuse us I'd like to steal Betty away. There's someone I'd like her to meet." Aaron snaked his hand around my wait pushing me away from them before they could protest.

"Thank you for that." I pulled away from his warmth once we were a good distance away from them. "Of course. Looked like you needed some saving." Aaron replied, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Wow." I raked him up and down as he grinned rolling his eyes. He wore a pristine black and white tux that fit his tall, muscular frame perfectly. His light brown hair was kept neatly compared to his usual disheveled state.

"You clean up nicely. Nice to see you wear something other than your signature cowboy boots and jeans." I teased through a smile making him chuckle. "Yeah, this isn't really me. But Tara insisted." Aaron replied as I hummed awkwardly.

"You look really good too by the way." He continued. I scoffed, adjusting my long brown hair. "An improvement to what I was before, huh? Seems that's all anyone has been saying." Motioning to my old photo pinned to my dress.

"I wouldn't say that. You're still just as beautiful then as you are now." Aaron expressed catching me off guard. Looking up into his eyes not knowing what to say. "I-" I struggled as he smiled down at me before I heard my name being called.

"Bethany!" Dylan's familiar voice yelled out slightly as he rushed towards me. "Dylan? W-What are you doing here?" I moved away from Aaron, noticing how frazzled and frightened he was. "Did you fly all the way out here?" I continued.

"I need to speak with you." My assistant pressed, making me look over at Aaron's confused face. "S-Sorry, I'll be right back." I said to him before walking out of the gymnasium with Dylan by my side.