Chapter 10

"Hey!" I smiled weakly at Tara and Arron as they stood at the bar. I was originally on my way over for another drink and saw them chatting. It would've been more awkward if I walked by pretending not to see them.

But as I saw the look on their faces I realized how wrong I was.

"Am I... interrupting?" I frowned as Aaron looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights and Tara avoided eye contact. She was acting differently than her usual chipper self and Aaron was strangely quiet.

"Of course not! It's so great to see you, Bethany." Tara snapped out of her daze as she engulfed me in a sudden hug. "Oh," I smiled, caught off guard as I hugged her back.

"You too. I saw a commotion over here. Is everything alright?" I asked Aaron as Tara waved her hand nonchalantly. "Oh, yeah. Everything is fine. Just guys being guys. What's a high school reunion without a little tension?" Tara said, making me laugh in agreement.

"Reunion or not, there's always tension in this town." I replied, making her chuckle as Aaron seemed to be on another planet staring down at me. Feeling uncomfortable under his impenetrable gaze as his dark chocolate eyes glossed over lost in thought.

"So, you were pretty good friends with Aaron in school right?" Tara began making us both snap our eyes to her. "Do you have any stories to share?" Tara grinned as I struggled to form words.

"Not really. He's always been a boring, stand up guy. I don't think you could do any bad deed even if you tried." I smiled up at him as his face softened. "Oh, come on. There's gotta be something he did that was embarrassing during his youth." Tara continued eagerly, making me chuckle.

"Oh! Okay... once he rode a tracker down the street at night and actually got a ticket." I smiled as Aaron tilted his head back as we both laughed in unison. "Oh, God! I forgot all about that! They dared that if I didn't ride it throughout the whole town I would have to play a game in only my boxers." Aaron explained as we both laughed together.

"Yes! And Eddie and Dave were both there making sure you finished it. But then you ran out of gas and they had to walk all the way back to the station to get diesel." We belly laughed reminiscing on their foolish choices when we were in high school.

"My father was furious with me. I don't think he ever got over that." Our laughing faded as I struggled to catch a full breath before noticing Tara's weak smile.

"And they forgot their wallet and they had to come back. Gosh, we were such idiots back then." Aaron smiled. "Back then?" I joked making him laugh as our eyes locked, unable to look away, getting lost in our memories.

"Wow, you rode a tractor?" She asked as I looked away uncomfortable. It was clear Tara didn't know much about Aaron since his father had a ranch of horses. As a kid Aaron often had to do chores around their property.

"Hey, Tara! Can I introduce you to a few friends of mine from school? You'll love them." Connie beamed with fake enthusiasm, making me turn to her confused.

Connie ushered Tara away gently while sneaking me a quick wink as Tara struggled to reply. "Oh, uh, sure!" She smiled walking away with her.

I knew this was just an attempt at forcing Aaron and I together alone to talk as I began to regret telling her my best kept secret.

"She seems really nice. I'm glad to see you happy with someone finally." I confessed honestly, looking up into his swirling brown eyes with the most beautiful glint of yellow.

"Have you ever wondered why you haven't been married yet?" Aaron asked, suddenly taking me by surprise. "I don't have to wonder." I replied simply as his eyebrows furrowed, confused.